How to complete a tax return with a missing P45/P60?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Apparently @Accy cyclist isn't alone, as an estimated 750k self-employed people missed the deadline and will be slapped with the fine. A nice little windfall for HMRC

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I phoned them up this morning,half expecting a recorded message and half expecting a totally unhelpful experience. However they were quite helpful. I've found out that a reminder has been sent to Mrs Accy ,with them thinking i still lived there,reminding me/her to fill in the form online. They've accepted that she hasn't contacted me about the reminder and therefore i haven't filled in an online form. So i have to go and see them in town on Thursday where they'll fill it in for me. They haven't quite accepted my reason for not sending the form in,but they said they'd write telling what's happened and hopefully any charges will be dropped.
To cut it short. They thought i was still self employed. They thought i was still living with Mrs Accy. They've accepted it was a genuine oversight by me and not a case of me not being able to bother.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Apparently @Accy cyclist isn't alone, as an estimated 750k self-employed people missed the deadline and will be slapped with the fine. A nice little windfall for HMRC

Sorry to be pedantic, but if it's a windfall for anyone it is the Treasury, not HMRC. And that windfall arises every year because most people quite frankly can't be arsed to get their returns in on time.
There is almost 10 months for the return to be submitted and if you speak with accountants who deal with individuals and partnerships, most, or certainly most I have contact with, will tell you a lot of January is written off doing Self Assessment returns, because of clients delivering information late.
And it is not as if it is a new system. It has been in this country for over 20 years.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had my appointment today,with someone from HRMC. It went ok. They filled in my tax return for me,accepting it was a genuine oversight by me. They waved the fine and even said i might be eligible for a tax return,seeing as i'm not classed as self employed anymore. They said they'd send me a form through the post to claim some money back. All that panicking for nothing. I'm just glad i phoned them and made an appointment to see them face to face,rather than just filling in a fine appeal form after first paying the fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom