How to complete a tax return with a missing P45/P60?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here's the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/626131/SA100_2017.pdf

But for the sake of an extra £20, don't panic and phone them on Monday. Explain your circumstances. Be calm and pleasant. Ask them to help.
Maybe if they take my reasons to be genuine they won't fine me anything at all?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No wonder i'm having anxiety problems. It's one thing after another! Demands for this and that,undecided PIP assessment outcomes,the bloody housing association sending me nasty letters saying i owe them rent,then when i phone they just say "Sorry we got your account mixed up" blah blah!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ask them what you have to do. I suspect they may just put things on hold and ask you to write and explain the circumstances. It might also be worth a visit to Citizens Advice Bureau on Monday after your telephone conversation with HMRC. It would do your cause good if you have some advice as to how to structure the appeal and how to fill in the form. BTW, going forward, you should explain to HMRC that you are not in a position to earn anymore due to your injuries and that you don't think you will need to submit a tax return. Get them to explain how you might go about notifying them of that.
I wasn't earning enough to pay income tax anyway,when i was working. I was making less than £10,000 a year window cleaning. Well i was for the last few years. I don't think you get taxed on below £10,000 do you?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can you not do it online has the letter you received got a UTR number on it?
I think i'd be better off phoning them like Rocky says. Face to face or voice to voice seems to work more favourably i've found in the past. I have this image in my head of a £10 a day surcharge totting up like a taxi meter! Not to mention the back dated tenners from last October!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think i'd be better off phoning them like Rocky says. Face to face or voice to voice seems to work more favourably i've found in the past. I have this image in my head of a £10 a day surcharge totting up like a taxi meter! Not to mention the back dated tenners from last October!
I meant complete your Tax Return...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can you not do it online has the letter you received got a UTR number on it?
No. The letter hasn't got a UTR number on it. So i'm supposing i couldn't fill it in online?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
No. The letter hasn't got a UTR number on it. So i'm supposing i couldn't fill it in online?
No you would need one, could be on any HMRC paperwork regarding your Personal Tax. It was fairly easy to do via Verify Me to get the login on the website but then needed to find a UTR code, which was on my last letter. They might be able to give it to you over the hone, my experience in general with HMRC is no excuse. It might take a while before they stop expecting you to do one, seems like once you have started its hard to stop maybe cover that in your phone call.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No. The letter hasn't got a UTR number on it.

Your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) will be quoted on all correspondence from HMRC. Look for a 10-digit combination of numbers and letters anywhere towards the top of the letter.

So i'm supposing i couldn't fill it in online?

Not if you haven't already registered for online self-assessment. I think your best bet, as Rocky says, is to wait until Monday to speak to someone at HMRC and get their advice on how to proceed. And try not to worry about it too much over the weekend.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No you would need one, could be on any HMRC paperwork regarding your Personal Tax. It was fairly easy to do via Verify Me to get the login on the website but then needed to find a UTR code, which was on my last letter. They might be able to give it to you over the hone, my experience in general with HMRC is no excuse. It might take a while before they stop expecting you to do one, seems like once you have started its hard to stop maybe cover that in your phone call.
I last worked in August 2016,so i guess that'll mean from April to August of that year,they'll want to know about my earnings. Perhaps they don't/didn't know i haven't worked since then. I know i'm coming across as a bit clueless about these things,but well yes,i am i suppose. Like i said earlier,Mrs Accy always filled the forms in for me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Perhaps they don't/didn't know i haven't worked since then.

At the moment, they're asking you about the 2016-17 tax year, which covers the period up to when you say you stopped working. If you didn't actually tell them you stopped working, they have no way of knowing that - you might think that if you're on incapacity benefits the system would be joined up in a way that shares the information but it doesn't seem to work like that.

Did you (or Mrs Accy) fill in a tax return for 2015-16? If so, it's normal for them to be expecting a return for the 2016-17 tax year as well.

Just be grateful that they haven't asked for payments on account - when I did my 2016-17 tax return, they asked me for a downpayment on my 2017-18 tax bill as well.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ah,that number! Yes,i have a 10 digit number there. Is it worth filling it in do you think,or wait to see what they say when i phone them on Monday?

No, you won't be able to complete it online over the weekend as you're not already registered for online self-assessment.

When you register, they send your login details through the post so even if you register right now you won't get them for a while anyway.

ETA: you could download and print the SA100 form and start filling it in offline, but it will probably be best to wait until you've spoken to HMRC.

Top Bottom