How to Fit new Barrel Adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apologies if this is a daft question, but is it straight-forward to fit a new barrel adjuster on the rear mech?

My plan is to undo the cable clamp, remove the nipple from the end of the cable, unscrew the barrel adjuster all the way out of the mech, slide the cable backwards and out of the mech, take off the old BA, fix on the new one and then re-install.

Have I missed anything? Will the old BA just slide off the cable housing and the new one slide on, or is it afixed in some way?

Cheers,

Andy

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Yes , it is as straight forward as that.

Tim Hall

It should just slide off, and the new one slide on, but the old one might be stuck on with years of accumulated road gunge.

There's a little spring in there that requires a bit of pressure before the thread will take. It can also go boing and jump outta sight when taking it off. This poses no real danger but just in case, wear a high-viz jacket, safety boots, gloves and eye protection, just like the prime minister does when he cuts the ribbon to open a new primary school.

The reason one replaces a barrel adjuster is usually not for aesthetic reasons, although weight weenies may find lighter ones and replace the heavy ones. Usually the old one has broken off, leaving the thread inside. This requires some fiddling to remove.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
The reason one replaces a barrel adjuster is usually not for aesthetic reasons
The mech took a knock when I was in a collision recently. All other aspects of it have been fixed, but the plastic winder on the BA has become pinched onto the metal sheath part underneath. The BA still works to adjust the indexing, but as the plastic winder/cover is pinched onto the metal beneath it can't spring back when you let go of it, so it leaves the screw exposed where it leaves the back of the mech. Possibly not a problem? But thought I'd replace anyway, partly for aesthetics, partly to make sure the screw doesn't rust and seize.
Cheers.

I bet someone has actually done that at some point, you know....
Oh yes. When I still worked with bikes I would regularly get requests like that. Aluminium stem bolts, ultra-short valves for racing bike tubes, chains will hollow pins, stupid aluminium-cam skewers, aluminium spoke nipples....I had request for it all. Weightweenieism is a disease.

Top Bottom