How to get MTB disc pad clip out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My oh's MTB does not have the coiter pin system on his disc brakes.
I don't know what the new system is called but the first thingy came out easily and the pads just pushed out. The rear thingy however won't come out...

Apologies for crap photos but in a rush.

This is the problem
DSC_1277.JPG

This is the one that came out easily releasing the pads.

DSC_1278.JPG

Yes bike is upside down.

Thanks for help.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@SatNavSaysStraightOn If they are like mine then you pull the pads from the other side of the that clip.

Grab the pads from the "legs" and pull. There should be a retention clip too.

lpretro1

You don't need to remove it - in fact in removing it you may damage it so it becomes a sloppy fit - all you need to do is get as pair of long nos pliers and pull the pads free from the other side and when u fit new ones just push in until they 'click' into place. That clip is the little spring which retains the tabs on the pads

lpretro1

@SatNavSaysStraightOn I just did this for the first time recently.
Did you unscrew the wee screw? Here's a video: hope it's the right one because I'm reading this without my glasses :laugh:
Edit: the wee screw is an allen key one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Uqi80Y67Y

I think he has avid juicys not tektro - they don't have a screw from hat I remember

Pads are held in by the clip only and usually need a really good pull with a pair of pliers. The clip itself is not meant to come out unless you are splitting the caliper to service pistons and seals. It can be got back in but it's a bit of a b****r to do.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Well no need to take them out really then - you can't 'clean' a disk brake pad
no, but it is easier to ensure that everything surrounding them is clean enough to pass exceptionally strict customs regulations and we won't be there to deal with any issues ourselves. The bikes are being shipped as part of our household belongings by sea and the port authorities will have 2 options. Charge us for steam cleaning the bike or confiscate it if they decide that a very muddy mountain bike is not clean enough. The disc calliper area in general is the last remaining area to get clean - like shop bought new clean and I can't do that without contaminating the pads unless I remove them.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I think he has avid juicys not tektro - they don't have a screw from hat I remember
they are avids. After that I don't honestly know. His bike is relatively new to us (given I have been off my feet for 18 months literally and unable to service the bikes) and I don't yet know it.
Parts back in, I'm not worried about. Everything is just going in a plastic bag with the bike, and life gets reassembled when they arrive in Australia in July (mid winter!).

Top Bottom