How to get rid of fat on belly and moobs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

ColinJ said:
Hang on a second, there's something not right there... ;)

Okay, first thing - a Joule is equivalent to a force of 1 Newton acting over a distance of 1 metre. The force on 1 kg due to gravity is approximately 9.81 Newtons so you are out by a factor of about 9.81 there.

Secondly, 4.18 Joules are equivalent to about 1 calorie, not 1 kcal which is what food energy is usually measured in.

Thirdly, we haven't been taking into account my body mass which was about 80 kg at the time.

Fourthly (?), the body isn't 100% efficient. In fact it is pretty inefficient. I had a quick hunt around and saw figures in the range 15%-25% so let's call it 20%.

Let's do the calculations again.

Work done = (50 + 80) * 9.81 * 750 Joules = 956,475 J. Converting that to calories ~= 228,822 cals ~= 229 kcals.

But taking a 20% efficiency figure, I'd actually have burned about 5 times that or approximately 1,150 kcals. That sounds more like it! I was eating 3 good meals a day, but not going over the top. The extra kcals required were coming from my nightly trips to the pub! :biggrin:

Yes, I had a long think about this on my commute home and am sorry to say my post was in haste, maketh waste, with errors.... BIG errors.
:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

A five star embassasment.

I checked my spreadsheets when I got home and you are correct to point out my errors.

1/10 Jimbo.

jimboalee

I think I will re-register under a different alias and change my writing style following this.

;)

Bigtwin

jimboalee said:
I think I will re-register under a different alias and change my writing style following this.

:blush:

Don't worry about it - we could all see it was complete crap. In fact, had you said nothing, we'd have just thought you were having a giggle. But unfortunately...;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
jimboalee said:
How big is your garden?

Buy in pallet of concrete blocks ( and an empty pallet base ).

Also get some gloves and a pair of steely safety shoes.

1 m^3 of the 'Dense' variety weighs about 2 tonnes.

Every two days, move all the blocks from one pallet to the other, moving the pallet 100mm further apart with each transfer.

They don't rust and you can build a nice bar-b-que when you're Mr Universe.
I love this. Were an Architect to specify 20kg blocks (I take it you're referring to 20kg blocks) they could face criminal prosecution. The law is truly an arse.

I think I need to start doing some sort of routine (daily?) to combat the fat buildup on the chest and stomach.

I did some exercise last night and whilst I can still feel it, I think it was too jumbled and not doing it in a way that would bring on results in the longer run.

Any ideas for a routine? Exercises, how many reps and sets?

Last night I did press ups, vertical crunch, full reverse crunch, some plank exercise, but It was all jumbled.

So need help with a proper routine I think, cant do pull ups, not possible here.

Thanks
Will.

ShinSplint

willhub said:
I think I need to start doing some sort of routine (daily?) to combat the fat buildup on the chest and stomach.

I did some exercise last night and whilst I can still feel it, I think it was too jumbled and not doing it in a way that would bring on results in the longer run.

Any ideas for a routine? Exercises, how many reps and sets?

Last night I did press ups, vertical crunch, full reverse crunch, some plank exercise, but It was all jumbled.

So need help with a proper routine I think, cant do pull ups, not possible here.

Thanks
Will.

(without trying to sound funny) You will be able to if you try... Even if you can only do 1, or even half of 1. You can build up gradually.

Example - about 18 months ago I could barely do 12 pushups. Following a routine (I tried the hundredpushups program), I was soon able to do 50 pushups off the belt. I then started my own routine of doing 5x sets of 20 every other day. So it can be done.

I know this is different to pullups, but i've read many times that the same applies - if you stick at it you can do it.

All that said, if you wanna loose fat, I think cardio is the way forward. Just a slow jog, or even a brisk walk, will soon start shifting it. Say every other day. Then the days in between, work on toning up with the pull-ups or push-ups etc.

Hope that helps :smile:

col

Legendary Member
willhub said:
If cardio is the way forward how come all this cycling I do does not shift it?

You still have to watch what you eat, unless your doing extreme speeds and lots of hours everyday.Even then you need to eat properly.

ShinSplint

col said:
You still have to watch what you eat, unless your doing extreme speeds and lots of hours everyday.Even then you need to eat properly.

Absolutely.

Do you generally eat healthily? Does your diet consist of too many carbs perhaps?

Give us a typical day's intake.

Basically, if you're doing a form of exercise (which you obviously are), and eat even reasonably well, you should be able to at burn fat. Even if its a slow process. If you eat healthily and stick to it, while maintaining exercise, you should lose it quick.

I don't do extreme speeds, but weekends are usually around 100 miles hilly averaging about 18-18.5mph. When I'm on my own around 16.5-17.5

I know I eat allot of carbs, do need more protein but I cant really afford it.

Anyone help me with a routine for these exercises though? That's what I really need to do.

ShinSplint

willhub said:
I don't do extreme speeds, but weekends are usually around 100 miles hilly averaging about 18-18.5mph. When I'm on my own around 16.5-17.5

I know I eat allot of carbs, do need more protein but I cant really afford it.

Anyone help me with a routine for these exercises though? That's what I really need to do.

Might be worth slowing your pace (thus lowering your heart rate), apparently this is better for fat burning.

Control your diet better, make alternatives i.e. brown bread instead of white. And try to cut down on carbs, and shite in general. (easier said than done, I know).

IMO you can make your own routine. Its no good anyone suggestion do 15 reps of this, 4 sets of that, if you find it too easy or too hard. Basically decide on what you want to do i.e. pushups, upper body exercises etc, and you'll be able to come up with a suitable amount/intensity that is right for you.

To tone up you'll have to work hard at it, and push yourself, within reason. If you want to build muscle, do less reps with heavier weights. If you just want to tone up, do more reps with less weight.

Bodhbh

Guru
Just a couple of pairs of dumbells and the exercises in the packet (the York dumbells have a series of exercise for chest, arms, shoulders etc and easy enuff to google).

I use a 6-7kg for some exercise and 4kg for the ligher ones, mostly 12 reps in triplicate. It's not much and I feel a bit of a jessy, but I have a hernia atm. You really don't need to kill yourself either - noobie gains. Even a low weights like this will make a big difference if you're starting from nothing, if you're fairly skinny will soon notice biceps and shoulders etc appearing.

Used to do 1 session a week of about 1hr 10mins - it's enuff - but atm trying spliting them and a couple of different exercises with take 10min instead after a ride, as I always kept putting off a whole session. I don't think it's that important to worry too much about what's technically right, just get stuck in and do something.

mattharry

The key to getting rid of fat is burning more calories than you take in. Aerobic training combined with the tips above does just that. If you want to get rid of belly fat then get up off the couch and go for a walk, take a bike ride, or play some hoops. Just be sure to enjoy whatever form of exercise you are doing and keep doing it.

You must exercise and strengthen all your core muscles, not just your abs, if you want that firm toned midsection. It is also important that you weight train your major muscle groups including you legs and back. By exercising the largest muscle groups you will burn more calories then if you just focus on you abdominal muscles.

Top Bottom