How to give up booze..... a serious question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
decided to pack it in er again !
never a big drinker but read that it can aggravate arthritis so thats it , got to bin the booze
Good idea!

I would say that I miss it maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but given that I was drinking too heavily 5, 6 or even 7 times a week, that is a pretty good trade-off...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do not get drunk
I am (virtually) never hung over.
I don't do sessions.
Its just become a habit to have a glass in my hand.

So what's the problem? Why do you even think stopping drinking is a good idea?
Unless you are drinking so much you are putting on a load of weight or making yourself feel rough, why on earth would you want to stop doing it?.

Try substituting the word "cycling" for "booze" and you'll see how illogical it is..
I do not cycle to excess.
I hardly ever feel rough after cycling.
I don't spend many hours at a time cycling
It's just become a habit to ride a bike.

icowden

Veteran
I am thinking of giving up the booze, maybe completely......we will see.

As others have said, it's only dangerous to go cold turkey if your alcohol consumption is at a level where you depend upon it.
The difficulty / ease of doing so is going to be related to your bodies relationship with alcohol and dopamine.
Essentially when you have alcohol your body rewards you with some dopamine which makes you feel good.

If you drink constantly, then when you don't have that dopamine you feel terrible so then you *need* a drink to feel normal and bring up your dopamine level.
That's how most alcoholism is formed.

Some people form this alcohol relationship more strongly than others. I drink occasionally but have no connection with it making me feel good, and I don't really like it when I start to get squiffy. I therefore very rarely drink much, and usually only drink things that I think taste nice. For other people though it can be the polar opposite. One thing you can do to support yourself if you start feeling like it's difficult to stop, or you need a drink, is to find a better way of giving yourself a dopamine boost such as hard exercise such as a run or a long / hard cycle ride.

If you are really concerned and finding it difficult it might be worth finding a local AA group, if only just to listen or to have other people to talk to who might be in the same area. A family member has these issues and AA was hugely beneficial in helping him climb out of the position he was in.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I agree. The dangerous level of alcholism is usually when the drinker is hiding their drinking, not doing it publicly.
Or when just "calling for a pint" actually means banging 4 or 5 down in a very short space of time(ie an hour or so) or by telling themselves and others they had "a glass of wine" last night when it was actually 2 bottles!
I'm now 11 months into AF and feeling all the better for it.I no longer see a Councilor(it was a voluntary step) but she helped massively.I spent my first birthday in 36 years sober and not in a pub.
Could I now go out and just have 1 or 2?I really think I could.TBH I don't think I'm missing it at all.

Top Bottom