How to give up booze..... a serious question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am thinking of giving up the booze, maybe completely......we will see.
It has crept up on me and I need to curb it.
Now.......the medical advice seems to be DO NOT go cold turkey, it could be dangerous and even cause death
BUT
If say I went to AA** ( not the car people) I can't imagine them saying cut it gradually
**I have no intention of going.
BTW......just to clarify.
I do not get drunk
I am (virtually) never hung over.
I don't do sessions.
Its just become a habit to have a glass in my hand.

screenman

Legendary Member
I normally stop from Jan1st until March 20th each year, I just stop completely.

vickster

Legendary Member
You should only not go cold turkey if you’re an alcoholic.
Just cut back? How many units a day/week do you have? Not sure what a ‘session’ is??
If concerned, discuss with Dr. Maybe this is contributing to your unwellness

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A few years ago I gave up drinking on a 'school night'. I was in a job that literally encouraged drinking as part of the business culture. .Every lunchtime and evening, everyday. I decided to give it up and only have a drink on a Friday and Saturday. That was 15 years back. I've stuck to it ever since. Of course I have a drink on the odd night out, get together, holidays, etc on a week night. But I've kept it up and is now at a point where having a drink is a treat rather than just having one for the sake of it.

If you're not an alcoholic, and it is a terrible disease that kills, then you shouldn't have too much trouble cutting back. Just takes a whole lot of will power.

Last edited:
I went from having maybe 6-7pints a night, with a lot more on the weekend to none in the space of a few months many years ago. Just stop drinking and find something else to do.
I still enjoy a night on the beer occasionally, and if I go on a rugby weekend or a stag do will drink with the best of them, but I stop as soon as it's over.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think the best way of giving up depends on what role alcohol plays in your life. For me it was a treat after work, or something to occupy my hands and mouth in front of the TV.

What worked for me was having no alcohol in the house. Then I had to find some alternative treats to take the place of the glass of red, and do something other than watching tv.

I was surprised how easy it was for me, and that cold turkey was what worked.

Good luck, the benefits are worth it!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I imagine this has become a problem for a lot of people dusting the lockdown due to depression. I was drinking too much beer and have stopped but still drink some wine which I will try to cut out or down.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
As others have said, it depends on how much you drink. I gave up 10+ years ago, never a big drinker but it just didn't agree with me, not hung over the next day but feeling bloated, often nauseous and generally lethargic. I can honestly say I haven't missed it one bit. If you're drinking regularly, probably better to cut down rather than go cold turkey but whatever works for you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

johnblack

Über Member
I cut right back when I'm in training for a big event, itt's more of a weight loss thing. I went totally overboard between July and August, so have completely cut back now, won't give up but will ration. I did give up completely a few years ago for 13 months but I decided that as I enjoy a drink why should I deny myself, since then I have been in control and am able to throttle right back when required. That's the issue, knowing when it's time to say no and being able to do so.

I am thinking of giving up the booze, maybe completely......we will see.
It has crept up on me and I need to curb it.
Now.......the medical advice seems to be DO NOT go cold turkey, it could be dangerous and even cause death
BUT
If say I went to AA** ( not the car people) I can't imagine them saying cut it gradually
**I have no intention of going.
BTW......just to clarify.
I do not get drunk
I am (virtually) never hung over.
I don't do sessions.
Its just become a habit to have a glass in my hand.

How much do you drink? I can't imagine there would be any significant medical risk if you just stopped, the way you're describing it - maybe have a word with your gp. Just about anything could cause death, don't over think it?

I stopped completely after the PEs ~8 years ago simply because I'm already too tired.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did it 30+ years ago. I was on a bottle of vodka plus beer a day and then went onto injecting vodka.
My alcohol intake now is maybe 2 glasses of wine with a meal at Christmas and a couple of beers at a BBQ. I rarely drink and dont miss it. I regret even now, the money I spent on it.
My two pieces of advice is change your mindset. "I think I will try and stop drinking". Its not good enough. You are setting yourself up to fail. Get professional advice. I dont mean sign up for AA meetings but get their literature. They deal with this day in, day out and know lots of tricks to help. Expect to put on lots of weight. I turned to fizzy drinks to replace alcohol. Getting the weight off was an extra challenge.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How much do you drink? I can't imagine there would be any significant medical risk if you just stopped, the way you're describing it - maybe have a word with your gp. Just about anything could cause death, don't over think it?

I stopped completely after the PEs ~8 years ago simply because I'm already too tired.
Spoke to the gp as I have other problems such as severe fatigue, no appetite**, cold but sweating profusely.
I have had 3 blood test and a thorough scan.. . None of which has shown anything.
Having more blood tests next week.
**MrsD has the same symptoms which started for us both after the flu end Dec-early March.
We are convinced we had Covid 19. If you look on Covid Long Haul we have 90%+ of what everyone has.

Top Bottom