How to give up booze..... a serious question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spoke to the gp as I have other problems such as severe fatigue, no appetite**, cold but sweating profusely.
I have had 3 blood test and a thorough scan.. . None of which has shown anything.
Having more blood tests next week.
**MrsD has the same symptoms which started for us both after the flu end Dec-early March.
We are convinced we had Covid 19. If you look on Covid Long Haul we have 90%+ of what everyone has.
Sure, I meant about stopping drinking. I'd second guess they'd say go for it if you want to, cold turkey or not. But you'd be better discussing with them if you think there is a medical risk with stopping. Personally, I can't see it.

Joffey

Big Dosser
It's Stoptober soon - just give up then. Set yourself the target of the month and see how you feel at the end.

Doing it in October stops you getting the funny comments from people and loads of other people are doing it.

A month off might be just what you need to break the habit - it usually does the trick for me. If you aren't missing the booze then do another month.

Good luck!

I was never a big drinker, but what little i did drink was stopped completely overnight when i was prescribed the fentanyl patches for nerve pain(back related) it didnt bother me one bit, i have though, had the occasional bottle of beer lately, which i have enjoyed.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sure, I meant about stopping drinking. I'd second guess they'd say go for it if you want to, cold turkey or not. But you'd be better discussing with them if you think there is a medical risk with stopping. Personally, I can't see it.
No.....she said don't go cold turkey.
Half it for a while, then half it again etc.

tom73

Guru
@Dave7 if you are at the stage of "i don't want this to get out of control" then cutting down and then down again is a good way to go.
You can then get use to things and get in the mind set to do it.
Do you feel you can't get though the day without any ?
Is drink the 1st thing you think about the you wake up?
If so then that's a problem and you need a bit of help.
Cold turkey is not a great idea and can kill. Unlike a drug which the need is mostly mental, drink is both a mental need and a physical one.
Once drinking reachers a high enough daily level day after day the body need's it and without it uncontrollable seizures happen and basically fry the brain.
Hence the need for medically controlled de-tox. Mrs 73 use to run a nurse led one and has seen what happens and it's not pretty.
Not saying your at that level just thought I'd explain why for some you can't just stop.
If your GP say's to cut it down steady then go with that she but think your ok to do it like that.
Good luck with it giving anything up is never easy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Dave7 - I was drinking too much, too often, and told myself that I would give it up if my health started to suffer. Then I DID get very ill so the booze had to go. I haven't touched a drop since (8 years and counting)...

The thing is - it would have made much more sense to give up BEFORE getting ill, and thereby avoid the suffering and long-term damage that the illness caused.

If you are drinking so much that going cold turkey would be harmful, then cut down more gradually, and get help if you need it. Otherwise just make the decision and pack it in there and then. After a few weeks you probably won't miss it (much!).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
BTW @steveindenmark did you go cold turkey or what ?
The day I decided to stop I was on my way to a 4 month detachment in the Kenyan bush. There was no alcohol. But I was ok. Having it in my head that I wanted to stop made all the difference. Dont be worried about asking AA for help. They deal with everything from minor drink problems to extreme alcohol problems.

byegad

Legendary Member
Back in the 1970s, I am old, I got into home brewing and wine making. I used to make a very palatable IPA, a great Tea wine and lots of others.

By 1980 I was drinking too much, too often. It was easy to open a bottle of wine, or pour a pint out of my pressurised cask, and another, and another. It was a gradual thing and by the time I realised how much I was drinking it was a serious drink issue.

I sold/gave away all my gear and only drank on a night out. All these years later I still drink, but, until lockdown didn't keep drink in the house, only buying a modest amount once a week and drinking what I bought in the next few days. With lockdown and Lady Byegad's illness late last year we have been getting our groceries delivered and as deliveries became harder to get, we have bought in larger amounts, less frequently, including wines and beer. And I still drink once a week, and surprisingly I find I drink less than I did prior to lockdown.

Last edited:
i started to cut down how often i was drinking about 10 years ago
unfortunately i couldn't cut down how much i drank on the few occasions i did (would binge drink)
so was maybe having 4 mad sessions a year then drinking a few on the weekends at home
i was in an ok position to go cold turkey and that's what i did. several months in now and going well.
could you cut down for a month at most then cut down again then off completely?
no point in prolonging it too much if possible

D

Deleted member 26715

Drink doesn't bother me, I can take it or leave it, very occasionally have a social beer, or maybe one if we go out for a pub (or rather did go out not been for months) my demon is whiskey, if it's in the house I do tend to drink it until it's gone, which as I never buy it works fine. But just having had my 60th I have 7 bottles in the house, or rather had, I went through 3 in 2 weeks. But I do have a rule that says no drinking before 9pm, which seems to work for me, haven't had any for 5 nights now as even I noticed it was every night for a while.

Top Bottom