How to give up booze..... a serious question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i started to cut down how often i was drinking about 10 years ago
unfortunately i couldn't cut down how much i drank on the few occasions i did (would binge drink)
so was maybe having 4 mad sessions a year then drinking a few on the weekends at home
That surely isn't going to do you much harm?
Unless these "4 mad sessions" are off my radar/more extreme than I can imagine.

I stopped after a staff bbq 12yrs ago and have never drunk since..........and have never had any cravings for alcohol at all
Do tell us about that staff bbq.
Still talked about?

Threw up down the female MD‘s decolletage?
have no idea at all of course.
But I couldn't help but think of the dreaded Christmas office party scenario/postmortem.
I once went to an introductory day/getting to know folk pre my scheduled new year arrival at an esteemed upmarket London PR agency, and innocently making conversation, asked about the christmas party (which I may have been vaguely scheduled to attend) and being answered with a collective shudder. I never learned what had happened.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
i started to cut down how often i was drinking about 10 years ago
unfortunately i couldn't cut down how much i drank on the few occasions i did (would binge drink)
so was maybe having 4 mad sessions a year then drinking a few on the weekends at home
i was in an ok position to go cold turkey and that's what i did. several months in now and going well.
could you cut down for a month at most then cut down again then off completely?
no point in prolonging it too much if possible
That is what I have decided.
50% less each month.
I don't want to go tee total......just control it better

vickster

Legendary Member
That is what I have decided.
50% less each month.
I don't want to go tee total......just control it better
Go for 50% less every time you drink...that’ll be easier to monitor. :okay:
stick to singles not doubles, a small glass of wine rather than a bottle, a half rather than a pint :smile:

That surely isn't going to do you much harm?
Unless these "4 mad sessions" are off my radar/more extreme than I can imagine.
haha, well the last one i had my head down the toilet at the end of the night xx(
it was more the hangovers with me, i got the worst hangovers on the planet. :cry:
the GF had the same opinion though that i wasn't a big drinker and not doing a lot of harm
at least the alcohol free market has really opened up (great variety now), i can still enjoy the taste if i want without the brutal hangovers

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Do tell us about that staff bbq.
Still talked about?
Just got mullered on Stella and we Never started the bbq..........it was a Friday, got back to the office Monday and there were beer bottle everywhere, food was still in the fridges etc etc......

Does it matter?
Well yes obviously.
Big difference between bottle of water/party fizz/weak wine (lots of it around) , beer (all sorts of strengths in different sized bottles , sherry, spirits, very high alcohol stuff (plus 90 per cent?) Which at least until recently you could buy cheaply in Italy for your home concoctions.
If you aren't aware of the variety of bottle temptations, I fear for you.
Drink aware/wise.
Enjoy but be careful out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom