How to increase avg speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrius.B

I am a newbie in cycling/commuting and would like to train a bit to increase my avg speed. Am just wondering what are the best ways to train for average speed increase?
Is it just riding and getting as much miles as I can? Doing 100% effort sprints? Something else?

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
What's your current average over what kind of distance and terrain?

zizou

Veteran
At the moment you are best off just riding and getting the miles in, keep at it you will notice good improvements in both speed and endurance fairly quickly.

After a while you will plateau then you can start to think about doing intervals. Interval training isn't really advisable though until after you have the solid base (that riding and getting the miles in will give) as it puts you at more risk of injury.

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

LosingFocus,
for a 20 mile ride I get around 14mph - 15mph if I ride at a normal pace. I ride on roads with my hybrid bike. I don't know how to describe the terrain though. I live around Bristol so I do get a few hills once in a while.

Speed increases come from working harder on the bike. The ability to work harder on the bike comes from improved fitness. Improved fitness comes from working harder on the bike......do you see where this is going..?

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Thanks guys for comments.
So this is what I got so far:
- to increase performance on the bike you gotta ride harder in whatever way until you reach a plateau. Only then you should start thinking about different and more specific training.

gbb

Legendary Member
Thanks guys for comments.
So this is what I got so far:
- to increase performance on the bike you gotta ride harder in whatever way until you reach a plateau. Only then you should start thinking about different and more specific training.
Basically...yes.
A fewyears ago I averaged 15.5 whatever the distance. I worked freekin hard over a season to up it to 18...and killed all the enjoyment once I got there, just busting a gut all the time.
Honk up hills where practical then ease up at the top to recover then pick up the pace again, that saves time lost going slowly uphill...and builds strength.
Don't be tempted to go straight off hard. On a 50 mile ride, it makes no difference if I start easy and warm up, or head out hard...I guess by warming up, you gain a bit later in the ride.

Hard hard work...and it's not always fun.

Ironically, having slipped back to 15.5average ( I'm 54 btw), I've been off the bike for 6 months of the last year, but frequently find myself averaging almost 17 mph without massive work on shorter rides. I guess that's mileage put in in the past, I was doing maybe 150 miles a week, gives you a good base fitness.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
LosingFocus,
for a 20 mile ride I get around 14mph - 15mph if I ride at a normal pace. I ride on roads with my hybrid bike. I don't know how to describe the terrain though. I live around Bristol so I do get a few hills once in a while.

That's excellent on a hybrid. I'd say you were doing well already. A roadie is worth a good 1-2mph on top of that due to weight, aero, rolling resistance.

david k

Hi
LosingFocus,
thats fast on a hybrid when just starting out
i average 16mph on flattish terrain on my roady, around 13 on same route with hybrid athough i usually use my hybrid for trail riding
when on my hybrid i dont feel the urge to push the pace, in fact it tells me to slow down a look around. the road bike shouts at me to go faster continually

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

I actually was thinking of getting a roadie, but then thought that it would be better to start with a hybrid, as it is less fragile, easier to maintain and gets less punctures.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I actually was thinking of getting a roadie, but then thought that it would be better to start with a hybrid, as it is less fragile, easier to maintain and gets less punctures.

Road bikes aren't fragile! They aren't any more difficult to maintain than any other bike and they wont suffer punctures any more so than other bikes, in fact with the right tyres fitted, and properly inflated, they may even have a higher resistance to punctures than many other bikes.

A nail, screw or broken glass will slice up must tyres, regardless of the type.

defy-one

I went for a 15 mile ride yesterday,through town and then country lanes. My average was 14.1 on a roadie. You are doing very well to do that on a hybrid.
I wouldn't focus on it too much. As others have said,keep riding.

I've lost a stone so far and the 15 miles didn't kill me. Now i intend to do the same route and improve my average speed

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Road bikes aren't fragile! They aren't any more difficult to maintain than any other bike and they wont suffer punctures any more so than other bikes, in fact with the right tyres fitted, and properly inflated, they may even have a higher resistance to punctures than many other bikes.

A nail, screw or broken glass will slice up must tyres, regardless of the type.

I must have been misinformed somewhere along the way then :smile:
Anyway, the hybrid is fine for now, but I am sure a time will come when I will switch.

Top Bottom