How to pre-book train tickets ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sounds simple but I have never done it. (On the odd occasion we go its by car or just turn up at the station)

We are going to Liverpool tomorrow and are happy to go/return between, say, 09.30 & 1700 hrs.
Some questions.
.Best ticket company to use?
.How do I pay for them?
.How do I get the tickets?

Any other tips appreciated.
Thanks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I use the trainline

Not sure if you'll get it any cheaper today than if you turned up at the station tomorrow .

You can download the tickets onto your phone - or get them emailed to you and you pick them up using your caer and a code they give you.

If you are taking bikes you often have to book spaces for them separately - depends on the train company.

clid61

Veteran
Just turn up, warrington to liverpool is not worth booking and no cheaper. However if on Virgin that's another story on west coast line .....

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depending on where you're travelling from and to, you may be able to use a mobile app, I use trainline, without getting mired in the magic and mysteries of the British railway ticketing system, simply choose your start point and end point and the time you want to travel, you may be presented with a number of different prices, route options and conditions, I like to collect my tickets from machines at the station (check that you can do this before booking) , because no matter how much we're in the internet age, there's always a guard or a station or a train operating company that refuses to recognise your e-ticket.

vickster

Legendary Member
I find booking in advance through the actual operator is best value. I just collect the tickets from my local station wherever I’m going

Local short journeys buy on day (London even easier, just Oyster or contactless)

If travelling at 9.30 on the dot buy the day before as you’ll get charged the peak fare, if there is one, even if you buy the ticket at 9.29. Similarly check if there’s an evening peak and any restrictions

If you’re going tomorrow just buy at the station but allow time in case it’s busy

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I use the trainline

Not sure if you'll get it any cheaper today than if you turned up at the station tomorrow .

You can download the tickets onto your phone - or get them emailed to you and you pick them up using your caer and a code they give you.

Looking at one online company the price is £7.00 for every train apart from (i think) 09.27......then its only £3.10.

get them emailed to you and you pick them up using your caer
Sorry...... whats my caer ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Daft question number 2.
How do I convince a machine that the online price is only xyz ?
You can't if the online price is different to the walk up. You book the tickets online, pay with a credit card, get booking reference, take credit card to station, put it and reference in machine, it prints and spews out tickets. Make sure you have your senior railcard with you too in case of inspector

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If travelling at 9.30 on the dot buy the day before as you’ll get charged the peak fare, if there is one, even if you buy the ticket at 9.29. Similarly check if there’s an evening peak and any restrictions
Is 09.30 the start time for off peak/ cheaper prices ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can't if the online price is different to the walk up. You book the tickets online, pay with a credit card, get booking reference, take credit card to station, put it and reference in machine, it prints and spews out tickets. Make sure you have your senior railcard with you too in case of inspector
You don't need to do that rigmarole if you book with Trainline. I seem to remember you get a virtual ticket which you can store on your phone to show to the inspector.
Hope you've got your senior rail card just thirty quid for the year.

vickster

Legendary Member
I personally don't entrust important travel documents to my phone with its finite battery life. Prefer a proper ticket, boarding pass etc
Trainline prices haven't been competitive for me in the past either compared to the actual train company (Virgin trains most recently)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It won't be worth it for tomorrow but split ticketing works well. It's usually 30-40% below the train company price.

For booking direct with the train company Virgin are very competitive. We go to London quite often, two people, senior railcard for £80-90 total. By timing the trains carefully one can usually get first class on at least the return journey.

Top Bottom