How to pre-book train tickets ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hope you've got your senior rail card just thirty quid for the year.
For very useful off-peak 1/3 off all fares.

Currently also available at £70 for 3 years - I just renewed mine HERE. I got £3.50 cashback so I only have to spend more than £66.50 a year on fares to make a saving and I typically spend two or three times that.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
For very useful off-peak discounts of 1/3.

Currently also available at £70 for 3 years - I just renewed mine HERE. I got £3.50 cashback so I only have to spend more than £66.50 a year on fares to make a saving and I typically spend two or three times that.
Is there a minimum Monday to Friday fare like the Network Railcard (£13 iirc)?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there a minimum Monday to Friday fare like the Network Railcard (£13 iirc)?
No. I often use it to travel to Hebden Bridge from Todmorden and that return fare is was only £2.40 (they seem to have put it up to £2.70 since I last did it). I paid £1.60 return which is about half what it cost to go one way by bus (since the free bus pass age is now aligned to pension age here).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Note that Tesco vouchers can be exchanged for a voucher to buy an annual railcard.
I've found the GWR site (for any area/operator) excellent for buying tickets, and securing a reserved seat and book a space for my bike.

Reactions: mjr
Southern, though they have a terrible train service, offer a refund for
  • Anytime
  • Anytime Day
  • Off-Peak
  • Off-Peak Day
  • Super Off-Peak
if you don't collect the tickets. I've used them for booking multiple tickets on different services when I wasn't sure I could time it precisely, and refund the ones I don't need. It's important to not confuse the booking numbers and collect a ticket you don't want by accident.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I personally don't entrust important travel documents to my phone with its finite battery life.
Haha.
Reminded me that earlier this year I recieved a 50% off voucher to a restaurant........voucher was on my phone.
We went there, enjoyed our meal, then I 'tried' to show the voucher. But it had disappeared. Nothing we tried would bring it back.
I had to pay the full price :sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
Useful tip for Boris card users: the ticket windows will sell you a ticket from the edge of the Boris Card Zone to a rail destination outside to zone - have yet to find an online or machine way to do that other than identifying a station the train stops at.

PK99

Legendary Member
What's a Boris card? Please don't give him credit for oyster, which was introduced when he was member for Henley. By rights, Boris bikes should be called Ken bikes. Let's not give him further credit for things he had no part in implementing.

Boris Card = over 60's free oyster card covering Train, tube and bus in TFL area for London borough residents, introduced in 2012 ie when Boris was Mayor

Levo-Lon

Guru
Me and mrs lon use a rail card and travel off peak.
Usually find either trainline or Peterborough station is the best deal.

The so called internet web save thingies are usually more expensive...commission ect.
But we're led to believe all things like go compare ect will save money ..
Check a price and try going direct..see what they can do

Top Bottom