How to remove a "stuck" pedal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm loaning one of my bikes to my son for our ride this morning but need to change from Looks to SPDs but the Left Look pedal is stuck. It requires an allen key so can't be "spannered" off but it won't budge. Any tips on how to remove it? I've tried WD40 and brute force but nowt. Over to the collective intellect of this mighty forum.

longers

Legendary Member
Hot water on the end of the crank?

Hokay. You will be needing that essential part of any bike-brutaliser's tool kit - the length of pipe. Slip the end of some fairly narrow pipe over the long end of your allen key. You now have a much longer handle, which should help you shift the bugger. :angry:

Applying the principles of leverage, if you had a handle long enough you could shift the pedal just by training a pet bee to sit on the end of the handle. :sad:

yello

sheddy said:
LH pedal - LH thread, RH pedal - RH thread (granny sucks eggs)

True... but entirely worth mentioning. It's too easy to assume the OP is turning it the correct way!

gbb

Legendary Member
Your post infers you havnt got an allen key Paul....
If you have, make absolutely sure its snug in the pedal, ie not worn or old. The easiest way to bugger it up is by using an old worn key. Any local engineering merchants will sell individual 'quality' allen keys, and the only cost a couple or three quid each.

yenrod

When I had an Octalink BB-C.Set - I'd put the 8mm on the bolt then attach an 8" adjustable spanner and hope it didnt snap (the allen key).

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I did indeed have the right tool and I was for sure turning it the correct way. It refused to budge. We ended up swapping cleats on his shoes in the end! Which was interesting.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
1. Get some proper penetrating fluid like 'Plusgas'.

2. Get more leverage (with pipe as suggested). Be careful to keep the allen key located in the recess.

3. Warm the alloy crank around the pedal axle with a hair dryer.

dodgy

That's what I would do Tim, I certainly wouldn't apply any heft until I'd done everything possible to make success more likely. Once you damage the allen socket, it's a total loss.

If the allen key goes in the back of the crank then you need to turn it anti-clockwise if you are trying to turn it standing on the left hand side of the bike.

I find getting leverage with a broomhandle helps.

02GF74

Über Member
hmmm, it is unusual not to have any flats for a spanner on the pedal spindle - all mine have but then I am using look pedals on road bikes and ritchey on mtb so that is only 2 variants.

as has been said, penetrating fluid and heat, you may even need to slap on a blow torch - the aluminium alloy will expand more than steel, hopefully releaing its girp.

oh, and make sure you are undoing correct way!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Got a neighbour who tinkers with cars? Most modern ratchet sets for cars have Allen key sockets. Attached to a breaker bar one of these will shift it.

Top Bottom