How to ride slowly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

Spinney said:
(although I do occasionally have an unladylike urge to burn off someone - and then knacker myself because I can't slow down again until I'm safely out of sight ahead around a corner!)

threebikesmcginty said:
In that situation it helps if you have to stop to take an urgent call on your mobile phone :sad:. Works on steep hill too. Apparently.

My bike usually develops a mechanical problem that requires me to pull over :biggrin:

Brahan

Über Member
The only way I can ride slowly is to remain in a small gear and keep reminding myself to spin spin spin rather then grind my knees to death. Otherwise I'm off, huffing and puffing and sweating like mad.

I'm doing 2 TTs this weekend, a 10 on Sat and a 25 on Sun - so the rest of this week I will be mostly taking it easy, so I have something left in the tank.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Brahan said:
I'm doing 2 TTs this weekend, a 10 on Sat and a 25 on Sun - so the rest of this week I will be mostly taking it easy, so I have something left in the tank.

What times are you doing now, Brahan?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Using the middle ring on my triple & not shifting to the large rings works for me - pegs my speed on the LHT at between 14 + 17 mph.

Cedric

If you're cycling slowly you are cycling longer, I wouldn't concentrate on riding slow per se. I cycle a bit slower when I'm out with my GF and I find it more tiring sometimes to ride slowly. I'd say you need to find optimum cadence.

jimboalee

Commuting.
This your opportunity to do some leg exercises.
Don't hang around, but DON'T put yourself in danger.

When there is a fast section, take advantage of it because you might get a puncture round the next corner, and that will delay you by 10 - 15 minutes. "Make hay while the sun shines".

Don't set off from home based upon your best, or even average speed. There might always be two punctures or a road blockage, so leave 15 mins early ( that's if your on the clock ).
A punctureless ride means you have 15 mins extra cooling down time.

On Audax.
I aim quite low but I don't dawdle. This is in case if I puncture, I can catch up time by getting a move on to the next control.

Those who stop at shops between controls because they are ahead of time are tempting fate. Keep on going if you can and eat/drink at the next control.

Get a heavier bike like me...that will help you go slower....then get the fixie out.(oooer):biggrin:

Brahan

Über Member
Origamist said:
What times are you doing now, Brahan?

Hey Orgamist.

The 10 was a 24.something and the 25 was a 58.something - they were both hilly affairs, but this weekend's ones are flatter so should give me an indication of whether I've gotten faster or not.

Here's hoping eh? Oh, I've managed to get a number that ends in 5 on my back too - if that means anything to you. :biggrin:

BentMikey said:
I have a long commute, and I struggle to ride slowly enough that I can survive the whole week. It's worse too, in that my job is physical and also very tiring. What works for you when you need to force yourself to ride slowly? I find it incredibly difficult not to race cars, buses, and other cyclists.

I don't have to force myself to ride slowly, it just happens.:biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Brahan said:
Hey Orgamist.

The 10 was a 24.something and the 25 was a 58.something - they were both hilly affairs, but this weekend's ones are flatter so should give me an indication of whether I've gotten faster or not.

Here's hoping eh? Oh, I've managed to get a number that ends in 5 on my back too - if that means anything to you. :biggrin:

V good times for hillier routes, Brahan. Good luck with a PB.

It was 0 and 5 back in the day...

Top Bottom