How to ride slowly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I set off from home today, deciding that since it was Wednesday, I'd take it easy.

200 yards down the road I noticed that the wind was in my face and I was going a lot slower than usual.

So, I did take more time to get to work this morning.

However I did use up the same amount of energy as I usually due, trying to chase a reasonable average speed. Then the bloke who works on the same site as me shot passed just as I finished getting money out of the cashpoint. So I had to catch him up, didn't I?

Failed again!!

Matthames

Über Member
How to go slower? My favourite way is to load it up with camping gear :biggrin:

MartinC

Über Member
I always used to find it hard to arrive somewhere without being hot and sweaty. I cured it by putting a 3 speed hub gear on my utility bike. You're never going to find the right gear to push it along so you just pick the cadence you want and don't worry about trying to optimise the speed you travel at. With more gears I used to speed up all the time to find the 'best' gap, on a 3 speed you find the gap that fits best. Hope you can understand what I mean.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I have a long commute, and I struggle to ride slowly enough that I can survive the whole week. It's worse too, in that my job is physical and also very tiring. What works for you when you need to force yourself to ride slowly? I find it incredibly difficult not to race cars, buses, and other cyclists.

+1 BM, I was thinking the exact same thing last week.

I took the kids around the block to a local park and road around it a few times with Mrs Jeez and a friend. I totally enjoyed poodling along, chatting all the time and not reaching more than around 10 mph.

I've mentioned before that these "ecclesiastical" riding styles are more rewarding than just pegging it, and I cant do more than 3 days of pegging it without feeling totally knackered (totally) at weekends.

Strange thing, riding around the park with no effort at all, no sweat, no bobbing of the head...somehow I felt as if I were flying along. I think it must be something to do with the speed you reach without effort compared to the same speed you reach on foot with the same lack of effort.

any way, no suggested solution's here have helped (apart from Uncle Phills) as they mostly focus on making the ride harder (to slow you down) I want it to be easier and just take it easy...its a mental thing.

perhaps we need to share an ecclesiastical ride in some day!!

bigtrike

Chop in that upright bent and get a proper low racer ( with tail fairing) or better yet a fully faired streamliner, then you will be going several mph faster for the same effort or the same speed( but feeling faster as you are lower) with less effort, ps am trying this with my M5 low racer but 25mph side winds are ......... interesting!

That's the problem,he has a bent which is faster than the upright anyway.

dodgy

Lots of jokey answers, but has anyone mentioned riding by heart rate? You could set your HRM to make annoying beeping sounds to tell you you're trying to hard.

snailracer

Über Member
dodgy said:
Lots of jokey answers, but has anyone mentioned riding by heart rate? You could set your HRM to make annoying beeping sounds to tell you you're trying to hard.
But what if the beeping stresses you? Your heart rate would rapidly spiral upwards in a vicious circle, and BOOOOM! :smile:

GrasB

Veteran
Cycling with the other half on her city bike works for me, though as we work on the same site cycling into work together is easy enough.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
bigtrike said:
Chop in that upright bent and get a proper low racer ( with tail fairing) or better yet a fully faired streamliner, then you will be going several mph faster for the same effort or the same speed( but feeling faster as you are lower) with less effort, ps am trying this with my M5 low racer but 25mph side winds are ......... interesting!

The Fujin is a low racer, albeit not the lowest, sunbeam. Are you suggesting I commute on a NoCom? I would too if I could practically carry all my work kit.

ncom.jpg

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I managed to go slow enough last night that I recovered enough to feel stronger and faster today, that's the kind of slowing down I need to do. Let's hope tonight was as effective, though I was a half km/hr faster.

Top Bottom