How to ride slowly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Cyclingpower.jpg

It's that chart again....

Instead of treating ALL your weekly commute rides as seperate rides, add up the TOTAL time and adjust your power output accordingly.

Strong lads like BM should be somewhere above NASA's 'Healthy men' line.
I'm about on it.
Instead of a 55 minute, 200 Watt average dash twice a day, I go for a 550 minute, 100 Watt average relaxing dawdle ( split into ten rides ),,, :ohmy:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why thank you for the compliment - I wouldn't say I'm above the line at all.

I'm surfing right at the limit of my available recovery time and ability. That's why I have to drop intensity in order to survive at this time of year. The recumbent helps, as it means considerably less effort for the same or slightly more speed than I'd have on the fixed wheel. I also try to have an afternoon nap every day during the week, and wear compression tights to boost my recovery.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Two tips I tried yesterday were origamist's of not overtaking other cyclists, and those of the spin it to win it group. Spinning is defo a winner, but I failed to not overtake many slower cyclists.

One that I found is not to filter to the front of every queue - as long as there are five or fewer cars in front, staying in lane is a good way to allow me a gentle slow acceleration away from the lights. Going to the front seems to be a recipe for racing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For months, I had the same problem as you Mikey. Constantly trying to better my time and chasing down potential scalps. Fun, but also hard work.

Now I just ride at decent pace that I know I can sustain. No point going 100% if you can't get up in the morning.

Riding at 80% over a 12 mile commute is only a couple of minutes worse off than riding at 95%-100%.

Now I ride 5 days a week - 120 hilly miles in total and enjoy it much more.

Plax

Guru
The only way I can ride slowly is if I'm with my local CTC group, and then sometimes I get a bit carried away on the hills (gives me an excuse for a rest whilst I wait at the top for them to catch me up).
It is a bit inconvienient as it's only 4 miles to work so in theory I could wear my work clothes and not have to get changed and washed when I get there. In practice I always tend to go like the clappers and end up a sweaty wind swept mess and therefore quite like a shower before arriving at my desk.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
Two tips I tried yesterday were origamist's of not overtaking other cyclists, and those of the spin it to win it group. Spinning is defo a winner, but I failed to not overtake many slower cyclists.

One that I found is not to filter to the front of every queue - as long as there are five or fewer cars in front, staying in lane is a good way to allow me a gentle slow acceleration away from the lights. Going to the front seems to be a recipe for racing.

The later is what i do. Very rarely go to the front of the queue, But for me it makes it more of a challenge to overtake the other guys that go to the front.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The problem is that in a few months I will be fit enough to let rip on some and later most of my rides, and it was only in Nov/Dec that I was still able to do that. It's hard to forget the memory of that speed. My work is seasonal, so I tend to get a fair loss of fitness in the winter, both from less skating and less cycling.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
6 commutes in 8 days now, ooooh my body is feeling the load. That's up from 2-3 in 7 days in winter. At least there's no reluctance in getting out the door with this lovely spring weather!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:

I tired this last week and did find it helped, not so much because of actual speed, but it shifted my mindset from being at the "front" and in the thick of it into being a bit more of a bystander and letting the others get on with the fast paced stuff.

Unfortunately not enough rides last week to clearly show a comparison, but I shall continue this week along the same lines

BentMikey said:
6 commutes in 8 days now, ooooh my body is feeling the load. That's up from 2-3 in 7 days in winter. At least there's no reluctance in getting out the door with this lovely spring weather!

14 in 16 for me on a heavy bike ya big softie.:smile:

2-3 in 7 during winter where let me see....oh 14 in 16 throughout the winter.(Didn't struggle so much this year as I did in late 2008.

Granted not as many miles as you but you have a recumbent yes and a physical job.

You say 6 in 8 BM...so when is your next day off?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's today, I take Mondays and Fridays off work. Well, still doing admin at home and looking after the toddler, but not going into the park and teaching.

BentMikey said:
It's today, I take Mondays and Fridays off work. Well, still doing admin at home and looking after the toddler, but not going into the park and teaching.

Only got 5 this week but I have a dreaded 7 two 7 coming up in May....arghhh.

Just charging up the Cam...other Cams I ordered aint going to get here due to the fact they are coming from China.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
i was doing 6 days a week of cycling back in the winter, with around 180miles covered over that. It is deffinatly something you have to work up to!

bigtrike

BentMikey said:
The Fujin is a low racer, albeit not the lowest, sunbeam. Are you suggesting I commute on a NoCom? I would too if I could practically carry all my work kit.

ncom.jpg
Thats the Ticket.B) Sorry for the late reply, Had a long weekend cycling 120 mile to visit family, first long trip of the year and it shows.xx(
The Fujin is 33 cm of the deck, a M5 25cm and that beast is 17cm which coupled with the incressed seat recline will make for a perceved speed increase so would solve your problem; road condition, trafic and cost considerations excluded. I think it would be possable to squeeze some luggage into that fairing if the rear wheel was enclosed.
I have always found pacing difficult the most sucsesful solution I have found is to look for changes in the scenery, ie not to look up the road or think about the journey but somthing else.

Top Bottom