How to ride slowly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have a long commute, and I struggle to ride slowly enough that I can survive the whole week. It's worse too, in that my job is physical and also very tiring. What works for you when you need to force yourself to ride slowly? I find it incredibly difficult not to race cars, buses, and other cyclists.

levad

Veteran
ICE !!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
People watching - I love watching what's going on sometimes ... that slows you down ... but you have to pick your moments for not concentrating on the road.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I know exactly what you mean - I can't help myself either. No matter how many times I try to ride a bit slower and arrive less hot and sweaty as soon as I see another cyclist I speed up - also I know I can keep up with cars down one long straight road, which has speed bumps, if I get a move on. Yet on a weekend ride if I fancy taking it slowly for a bit I do and it doesn't bother me if there's anything else around worth charging down.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Must be a man thing. I don't usually have difficulty riding slowly ;)

(although I do occasionally have an unladylike urge to burn off someone - and then knacker myself because I can't slow down again until I'm safely out of sight ahead around a corner!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ride whilst pulling on the brakes.. will get through brake pads a little quicker.. but will no doubt slow you down Mike..;) failing that... buy yourself a sit up and beg with a basket on the front for your skates.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Spinney said:
although I do occasionally have an unladylike urge to burn off someone - and then knacker myself because I can't slow down again until I'm safely out of sight ahead around a corner!

In that situation it helps if you have to stop to take an urgent call on your mobile phone ;). Works on steep hill too. Apparently.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I try to stop myself overtaking any other cyclist I see. This is nearly impossible, but it certainly slows me down.

BentMikey said:
I have a long commute, and I struggle to ride slowly enough that I can survive the whole week. It's worse too, in that my job is physical and also very tiring. What works for you when you need to force yourself to ride slowly? I find it incredibly difficult not to race cars, buses, and other cyclists.

Just don't bother.

I went through a (very short) phase of thinking I needed to adapt my usual headless-chicken approach of trying to continually ride as fast as I can by doing those intervals malarkey etc - but it bored me rigid.

Back to riding eyeballs out - it might not be the most efficient way of progressing, and I'm am knackered by Friday, but that's how I like to ride.

jimboalee

Plan yourself a nice 100km route.
Split it into four sections.

Aim for an overall average speed of 18 kmh. ( 5 1/2 hours ).

No more than 15 minutes at each stop or you will cool down too much.

After you've ridden a different route once a week for twenty weeks, you'll know how to 'take your time and enjoy yourself'.

Top Bottom