How to roast 'these' spuds ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I can't get a 5 Lb chicken in ours :rolleyes:
The chicken goes in the pressure cooker.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Many years since we had a pressure cooker.
What size chicken can you fit in ?
How long does it take ?
Microwave veg ??
I cut a whole bird up, save the wings and legs then pot roast the crown, in the stock which I make from the rest of the carcass. You can do a small-medium whole bird if you prefer.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I give them about 5 minutes in the microwave dependent on size and when cold give them half an hour or mebbe longer in the Remoska. Chopped to a suitable size they make nice chips but whole spuds with a cut to let the steam escape are also good.
Never do this with new potatoes tho’. They are only boiled.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My old granny always said new potatoes don't roast well though never said why and being small I never asked.

I like Jersey Royals slightly underdone so they have a bit of a bite still, with lots of butter melted on them...
When I was farming our lunch in season was a large mound of freshly boiled new potatoes and lots of nice creamy milk. This was on a dairy farm so we had proper milk unlike the stuff mostly sold nowadays.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yesterday I steam cooked a load of Jersey potatoes.
MrsD fancies some roasted (with fried eggs, peas on.
My worry is that they are now fully cooked.
I just want them brown/crispy but don't want them turning to mush.
So.......
Will roasting work ?
If so, how?
I am guessing high heat/short time.
Anyone know if this will work?

Try them on a high heat and just keep an eye on them. I never go by time much unless baking.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I give them about 5 minutes in the microwave dependent on size and when cold give them half an hour or mebbe longer in the Remoska. Chopped to a suitable size they make nice chips but whole spuds with a cut to let the steam escape are also good.
Never do this with new potatoes tho’. They are only boiled.
New potatoes with the skin on are great roasted.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When I was farming our lunch in season was a large mound of freshly boiled new potatoes and lots of nice creamy milk. This was on a dairy farm so we had proper milk unlike the stuff mostly sold nowadays.
When I was little I used to stay with my aunty on her farm during the summer- they had a milking herd and she sent me to get a gallon jug of milk from the milk vat where they stored the unpasturised milk turing slowly in a refrigerated tank until the milk lorry turned up in the afternoon... nothing beat that taste of fresh chilled milk... though I can't drink whole milk anymore.

Top Bottom