How to wipe ten minutes off your commute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Dolan1.jpg

Yep she's back in action! :wacko::biggrin::biggrin:

First time on the Dolan since last October and boy does she fly!

Mudguards? Nope
Rack? Nope
Panniers? Nope
Child seat? Nope
AirZound? Nope
Gears? Nope
Massive grin? Oh yes!!

The speed was almost frightening after months on my winter bike, it just flys. I had almost forgotten that on this bike I can keep up with thirty mile an hour, stop start traffic with ease. Whistling past other cyclists at double their speed, out accelerating everything bar motorbikes from the lights. This is why I love cycle commuting. Bring it on, it's gonna be a good summer! ;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Maz

Guru
You sound a bit happy!

Can't see that pic at work for some reason (is it the bike or a 'women in lycra' type image?!).

A few questions.
Is it carbon bling?
How do you cope with hills on a single-speed (or is that bike a fixie?)

bonj2

nice bike, (if you like that sort of thing :wacko:)...
definitely looks the part, even if it is a fixie -still each to his own...!
at least you haven't ruined it by putting stupid gay mudguards on it.

Maz said:

you don't, he lives in london.

bonj2

also it is a known fact that, all other things being equal, black bikes are faster than other colours of bike.

Tetedelacourse

What make are those wheels Dom? And yes, is it a fixie or a single-speed? Is there a way to tell just by looking? And wouldn't it be faster accelerating and top speed if it had gears?

Nice though.

Tynan

Veteran
stupid gay mudguards?

no-one actually likes mud guards but they are handy if you;re out in the rain

ditto panniers if you have to carry something

all about leisure bikes and working bikes I suggest

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
What make are those wheels Dom? And yes, is it a fixie or a single-speed? Is there a way to tell just by looking? And wouldn't it be faster accelerating and top speed if it had gears?

Nice though.

They are hand builts, Mavic rims and Ambrosio rims.

It is fixed wheel.

Accelerating on a fixed wheel requires a certain technique, but no it would not be faster with gears, you would be wasting time messing with them rather than on just getting up to speed. That said I tend to not change gear too often on my other bikes anyway. It is very light though which obviously helps a lot.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Landslide said:
Sorry, wrong.
Purple is the fastest colour (summat to do with light wavelengths)

Nope, you are wrong that purple is faster but correct in identifying the reason. It is black that is faster because it does not get slowed down by having to interact with the light waves. Purple still has to think about reflecting light which makes it noticeably slower you'll find.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
You sound a bit happy!

Can't see that pic at work for some reason (is it the bike or a 'women in lycra' type image?!).

A few questions.
Is it carbon bling?

Alu not carbon, hills have to be powered up and you need to make sure you take advantage of any momentum. Once you have lost speed and momentum it is just a case of grinding away very slowly or possibly having to get off and push if the gradient is getting stupid. Never had to get off apart from once when I bonked out, I tend to use this bike only for commuting and shorter runs, I have another geared bike (2006 Focus Cayo) for weekend riding out on hilly terrain.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Black still has to interact with light waves, it just doesn't reflect them. Surely by absorbing all the light waves (and by picking up all those photons) black gets heavier and therefore slower (for a given energy input)?
If we follow this line of thought, does that mean that white is what we want, as it reflects the most light? Or mirrored?

*Goes for lie down in darkened (possibly slow and heavy) room*

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
Black still has to interact with light waves, it just doesn't reflect them. Surely by absorbing all the light waves (and by picking up all those photons) black gets heavier and therefore slower (for a given energy input)?
If we follow this line of thought, does that mean that white is what we want, as it reflects the most light? Or mirrored?

*Goes for lie down in darkened (possibly slow and heavy) room*
Landslide is just as jealous as I am really!

Top Bottom