how to work up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Okay anyone got some suggestions? Currently getting my bike very soon, and though I am young [under 20] I am quite unfit. I want to be able to ride at a comfortable speed, but able to go longer and faster. I'm not doing this to lose wieght as i am not overwieght, it is simply to get fitter and more healthy.

But obviously i don't want to get on my bike and try to go as fast as possibly and as far. I want to build up gradually, any tips?

wafflycat

Firstly, is there a medical reason you're so unfit? Any doubt - get checked over by a doc before undertaking new exercise.

Assuming there's no medical reasons why you can't exercise - here's what worked for me:-

Start off slowly and short distances. The first time I got back on a bike I couldn't do five miles without getting off for breath. Enjoy it. Repeat cycling regualrly (3-4 times a week if you can). Do little & often. If you need to stop & recover, there's no shame in that. If you need to get off & walk bike up a hill, there's no shame in that. *Gradually* increase distances & time spent on the bike. Go at a rate you are comfortable with. Above all, enjoy it. If you enjoy it, you're likely to want to get back on the bike again and again.

Did I mention enjoy it?

Be prepared to adjust saddle height & position. Be prepared to buy a different saddle to the one that comes with the bike.

Don't wear jeans - the seams will chafe your nether regions.

Get a pair of cycling gloves/mitts to wear.

Think about investing in front & rear lights + a lock.

Remember to take a drink with you on rides.

Did I mention enjoy it? ;)

Good luck :sad:

Blonde

I agree with Waffles about cycling at a pace where you are not out of breath - thiis means you will be able to sustain this for a lot longer and go further. It might seem that it cant be true, but as you get fitter you will go faster for the same effort anyway, without having to ride so you get out of breath, so you really dont need to push it - that tends to be counterproductive because you get tired more quickly and then disheartened when you can't finish the route you had planned, or have to stop and rest! Have some fun planning loop routes and setting goals if you like. If you're comfortable with a certain time or distance on the bike, try just doing an extra 2-3 miles, or an extra 10 minutes, then after you've done the new time/distance a couple of times, try going another 2-3 miles further, or for about another 10 minutes extra... etc. Any hills will make the miles seem harder and take longer to ride, so don't be disheartened if it seems to be taking a while to get any further/faster if your route is at all hilly. Once you're out on the bike for over an hour you might want to take something to eat with you as well as a drink. At the two hour mark it's a really good idea anyway. Just a banana or two, or sandwhich would be fine. Good luck!

Blue

Legendary Member
If you are getting your bike from a local shop ask if they have details of any local beginners groups or clubs. That's how I got started - my shop put me in contact with a group that did a once weekly gentle ride for beginners and then the leader of that group put me in contact with a local club.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Thank you for your help!

I went on a 30 minute bike ride this morning, not sure how long it was in miles, but there were severel bigish hills for a beginer like me! I'm sat here now and the tip of my legs are burning! I'm going to do that same route for a bit until I can handle it easily.

How many days a week should i be able to do it?

wafflycat

There's no 'should be able to' about it. It's individual - do what *you* are comfortable with. Little & often is the key but don't forget to have some rest days off the bike as recovery time is an important part of getting fitter.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Yeah I know what you mean, I was wondering what a reasonable amount might be, and how much rest I should have between rides etc?

snorri

Legendary Member
Kovu said:
How many days a week should i be able to do it?

Just as often as you feel like.:ohmy:
Lots of good advice in this thread Kovu, remember, it's meant to be fun. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Yeah. I am having fun don't worry about that, its good.

Went on holiday for a few days, and i missed ridign my bike alot!

Top Bottom