How we used to ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

This was my first MTB. Still going strong as my town hack and still has the original tyres.

This pic is not of my actual bike but mine is identical and near enough in the same condition.

bauldbairn

Debian said:
This was my first MTB. Still going strong as my town hack and still has the original tyres.

Nice bike!:smile: I like this retro MTB thread.:thumbsup:
Makes it look like my mates £6K downhiller does all the work for him.:blush:

Nobody got a "Stump Jumper" then? Think I'd heard an original model was worth £20K(could've been $'s) - is that likely? :sad:

Like the new signature Debian.

Debian

bauldbairn said:
Makes it look like my mates £6K downhiller does all the work for him.;)

Nobody got a "Stump Jumper" then? Think I'd heard an original model was worth £20K(could've been $'s) - is that likely? :smile:

Ta for the sig thumbs up! It had been a very bad week when I wrote it, still like it though :biggrin:

It's time I stripped and rebuilt the Peugeot I think, I'm getting to like it again, and to think I nearly gave it away a couple of years back :ohmy:

I don't know what it is about it exactly but it seems to have been built by the same firm that did Stonehenge; original tyres, original chain, cassette, chainrings, derailleurs and pedals, little bit of rust on the chromey bits but not much. In fact all that's ever been changed on it is the rear axle and bearings, inner tubes, cables and brake blocks. It just seems to go on for ever.

bauldbairn

Debian said:
I don't know what it is about it exactly but it seems to have been built by the same firm that did Stonehenge; original tyres, original chain, cassette, chainrings, derailleurs and pedals, little bit of rust on the chromey bits but not much. In fact all that's ever been changed on it is the rear axle and bearings, inner tubes, cables and brake blocks. It just seems to go on for ever.

I had a Raleigh Europa five speed "Racer" drop handlebar road bike back in the 80's - the only things I changed where the rear tyre, inner tubes, handlebar tape, brake blocks, cotterpins and greased the bearings/axles. That was in 8 years riding. Yeah they don't make them like they used to.:biggrin:

bonk man

bauldbairn said:
Makes it look like my mates £6K downhiller does all the work for him.:biggrin:

Nobody got a "Stump Jumper" then? Think I'd heard an original model was worth £20K(could've been $'s) - is that likely? :wacko:

Ha ha ha .... guess what I dragged out of a skip today,,, oh yes, prepare to get jealous..
Early Stump Jumper, with lots of original bits LX plus some retro purple stuff :eek:.. now working.. oh yes... dunno if it is worth 20k but it is well nice to ride..
Original tyres with little wear, probably only clocked about 800 miles or so on the road.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Late eighties Emelle? Now no longer mine, but here it is before I sold it!
DSC_0163.jpg

bonk man

I had a Karakoram with a similar paint job to that Emmelle but in purple.

My first proper mountain bike [ as opposed to a thing we built with a motor bike front wheel, chopper back wheel, mega wide bars and a bad off road attitude ] was one of those dodgy Peugeot 15 gear things that was huge and unwieldy.
I don't have any pics of it but I was rather fond of the stupid thing.

Debian

bonk man said:
I had a Karakoram with a similar paint job to that Emmelle but in purple.

My first proper mountain bike [ as opposed to a thing we built with a motor bike front wheel, chopper back wheel, mega wide bars and a bad off road attitude ] was one of those dodgy Peugeot 15 gear things that was huge and unwieldy.
I don't have any pics of it but I was rather fond of the stupid thing.

Like mine?

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1142487&postcount=31

bonk man

It was a red and white one, I have just found a grainy pic of it, if I can get a good image I will post it.. a bit of photo shopping to do on it.

Anyone else used to drool over roller-cam systems in the "Freewheel" catalogue?

And look longingly at adverts for the Suntour B.E.A.S.T?

bonk man

I will dig out the old Freewheel catalogue [ 1984 I think ] and have a laugh at the daft old bikes ;) Revell ... whooop:biggrin: whoooop:biggrin: with Biopace ... :angry: excellent:bicycle:

Matty

arallsopp said:
Still got my white / mauve muddy fox courier. Long been converted to a twinspeed (by means of dead rear derailleur) but still as bombproof as it ever was. Unfortunately, I'm not so robust, and am off uprights for the foreseeable (pending reincarnation).

It lives with my dad now, and he still takes her out from time to time. Triangle frame bag, cantis, elliptical chain rings, suntour shifters, ridgeback grips, little wheels to route the front brake cable down the stem, and (now removed) a neon disc for the rear wheel.

Wonder if I can get that disc on the SMGTe. Ah... the noise.

Jealous. Always wanted one of these. Rear disc is essential (daft/silly etc.)

thegrumpybiker said:
Anyone remember the Raleigh Bomber from the early '80s? It probably qualifies as the UK's first MTB shaped object.

Yep, got two in my collection:biggrin: Plus a 1983 Muddy Fox, a 1984 Dawes Countryman and a similar age Raleigh Maverick.:laugh:

My new commuting bike is an all original 1986 Raleigh mountain bike which we had donated for recycling.

Top Bottom