How we used to ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
hotmetal said:
We used to go down the "Death Track" through the trees in Oxhey Park (Palinurus may know it)

I still ride over there- it's one of my regular cyclocross drill areas. Practicing transitions on the grassy bits and using the lumpy bits in the trees for run-ups and descending practice.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
hotmetal said:
Ha! I used to live in Watford and remember Bob Addy. IIRC he was a miserable old git of a roadie who hated MTBs

:smile:

He's still about.

http://www.hemelcycling.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=842

Zoiders

Retro MTBs are a growing subculture.

Fortunately the late 80s early 90s MTB kit is not.

I am (thank god) young enough to have missed that shamefull episode in dayglow polkadot lycra and mullet hair cuts.

paddy01

Halcion days indeed. My MTB life ended somewhere around 1996 when girls / beer and cars suddenly became a whole lot more important than cross country racing through gorse bushes on a wet sunday morning. I didn't ride anything again for a good 10 years or more.

First 'proper' MTB was a Raleigh of some description, Suntour thumb shifters as I recall. It was far too big for me (bought off a mate) and despite what I recall as fantastically skinny tubing, probably weighed more than I did at the time.

Next up would have been a 1993 Giant Cadex CFM-3 and I'll be blowed if I can remember what happened to that, I think I sold it to fund the next purchase which was..

.. a 1995 Klein Fervor (pre-Trek) which I built up from the frame / forks / mission control stem using a mix of XT / XTR and raced for a local shop team for a couple of years until I faded out of riding all together.

At one point I sold it to a mate who then proceeded to leave it in his back garden for 3 years until I bought it back off him. I resurrected it about 3 years ago and did some MTB'ing on it but these days I'm a road rider for preference and the Klein was converted to single speed beach cruising / leisure rides with the wife and cycle plus train commuting duties.

Unfortunately the Mission Control stem/bar combo snapped due to fatigue and the frame as a whole is looking pretty battered these days as it's taken it's fair share of abuse over the years, and the BB is in a right state (not a simple fix as they're sealed klein units).

So yesterday it was dropped into my LBS as a bare frame for them to remove the BB and see if there's anything they can do with it, once it's out the frame will go off to the powder coaters for a blast and coating then it'll be put back together, and will I'm sure continue to give sterling service.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hacienda71 said:
Now that is proper mountain biking, No poncy suspension or disk brakes just a bloody strong frame and wheels and a nutter at the top of the hill

Why do you think I refer to my battered old Raleigh Max Ogre (not a 'real MTB, I admit) as 'The Tank'?

All the previous descriptions of bombproof bikes being built by the same firm that made Stonehenge and which are probably now in Afghanistan performing bomb disposal duty, really does describe the Max Ogre to a tee!

It's only of 1996 vintage though, so nothing too old yet, but at least it weighs more than it's worth, that much I am certain of! :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
My big brother had the black version. Still has them somewhere, I'm sure.

Sheffield_Tiger said:
They forgot to mention the big Duracell lockable lights that were the alternative to the standard Ever Ready offerings that every man and his dog had.*

Anyone remember them?

They were about 6" across each way by 2.5" thick, looked like they were more at home on a quad bike, and locked to their brackets. I think each one took 17 D size batteries or something like that.

*later, Ever Ready made versions in luminous green to match the trend of having similarly garish forks, remember those?

ultraviolet

it can't rain all the time....
its strange i think, i've just gone to a full-sus from a fully rigid bike and i've realized that its boring. most of my MTB's since the early 80's have been rigid and every trail was a challenge, why would you want to smooth-out the bumps when riding off-road? modern technology has spoilt some my enjoyment i think

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wait a few months and all the repair bills for those highly stressed pivots and shock absorbers will start mounting up......

Top Bottom