How well known is cyclechat outside of the cyclechat community?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think you'll find, as I posted the Pie-cnic thread first, you are trying to poach my potential drinkers...
I'll take your 23rd Feb 2018 and raise one 29th Jan 2018. Your persistent niggling is starting to become tiresome...… :tongue:

upload_2018-6-27_15-20-24.png

Ciar

Veteran
I came across CC and BikeRadar at the same time, when i was looking to start commuting into work. posted a few times over on BikeRadar but CC is my go to cycling forum.

in all honestly as i am a MTB rider above anything else, i should really frequent pink bike or single track, but i actually enjoy this forum, even though it's full of lycra clad people ^_^

Generally i ride with two different MTB groups from time to time or with a couple of mates, it seems they prefer the group aspect and don't really want the club or membership issues.

in all honestly as i am a MTB rider above anything else, i should really frequent pink bike or single track, but i actually enjoy this forum, even though it's full of lycra clad people ^_^

You'll see the light and come round eventually.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It's prominence will be down to how well it does in google search. Sometimes when I am looking to solve an issue Cyclechat will be on page 1 (the holy grail), other times it is no-where to be seen.

Alan O

Über Member
That's interesting. Locally to me, Breeze rides are only bookable through the Let's Ride website, which I have to say is quite appalling. When a ride is "full" it disappears from the site, which means the "champion" who is leading the ride has to be contacted by other means so that one can be put on an invisible "waiting list" in the hope that someone else drops out - due to some apparent rule about the number of people a "champion" can be responsible for (eight). Too many people want to go, and another "champion" has to be drafted in. It is all unnecessarily bureaucratic, irritating, and eventually tends to become not worth the effort for most people, just to go for a social ride. One good side effect of this is that new riders persist in their enthusiasm for it, and so Breeze does actually get more women back on their bikes, just by a very roundabout route.
Sorry if any of this has been covered by posts in the six pages I haven't read, but a few thoughts from me...

I'm a regular with Let's Ride (guided and social rides), and I know a couple of my local Breeze leaders (though for genetic reasons I can't join their rides). I also have a fair bit of experience of software and web stuff, and I think the problems you describe are really because the site software is very simple and intended to be low-maintenance. It doesn't look like it sets cookies, and you can't stay logged in... the site software is primitive, to be sure, but I think that is the problem rather than any intentional bureaucracy.

But as for limiting the number of people a single leader can be responsible for, no, I very much disagree that that is "unnecessarily bureaucratic". If one leader was allowed to lead 50 people and there was an accident, you can be damn sure there would be people complaining!

I think Let's Ride is a great free resource, and the ride leaders I know are dedicated individuals who put a lot of personal effort into helping get people out on bikes. And they get almost nothing material in return - just a "Ride Leader" jersey and some discounts, I think.

And I actually find it a very easy resource to use, site wrinkles notwithstanding - it's greatly contributed to my cycling miles this year, and it's found me a new social circle.

I suggest you add your favourite leaders to your list of friends, and perhaps join any groups they're leading, and you should be able to keep in touch with oversubscribed rides easily enough. I've done that, and I don't really miss anything.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
All because BCF advised that non members shouldn't be allowed on rides advertised in a BCF affiliated club Facebook Club page.
The Belles on Bikes are affiliated with the institution previously known as CTC :whistle: (they gave us money for basic training to set up the groups)
We advertise our rides wherever we like, we lead groups as large or small as we feel comfortable with, we do our own routes, we don't take money apart from the smaller Belles group that don't have a sponsor to pay for the annual insurance, they ask fo maybe a fiver a year, if that.
You wear what you want, you ride any bike, if you can't make it through the ride we will help you to find your way home (indeed we plan the routes with lots of escape points), if we are able, the ride "leaders" will help with mechanicals.
A while back BC wanted to take us over to be Breeze, saying they had a million pound to invest.... they wanted us to wear a uniform!!! They said we are not allowed to fix punctures for others!
We told them to jump on their bike here in Glasgow, but some other groups from the rest of Scotland were glad to ride under their banner.
Sorry for the thread derailment @I like Skol :tongue:

But you converted them and they are now members ...? :whistle:
I converted a few :okay:

On the by, some on here are perennially complaining about the forum, yet they post almost daily :whistle:

Moderators

Legendary Member
We have been told that another forum - YACF - has this rule:

"Special rule (and this really is a rule): derogatory or strongly opinionated posts and threads about other Internet forums or their administrators will be moved or deleted. We do not normally post a "moved topic" message in these cases."

This rule is on their registration agreement.

It would be good if we also extend the same courtsey in return, not just to them, but in regard to other forums. We know that there has been previous disagreements in the past, but let us leave that as history now.
Thank you.

Top Bottom