How windy is too windy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I've been doing lots of rides in 25mph with 40mph gusts for what seems like the whole of February, I have lost weight which I'm putting down to the extra effort required. Much above those speeds and it's a hazard for me living where I do, by necessity all my rides head out SSE and come home NNW, meaning for about 15 miles out and 15 miles on the way back of a (say) 60 mile ride is side wind, since most of our wind comes from the West. I'd much rather ride block headwind or full tailwind, it's the side winds that can catch you out.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ha, I've seen that kind of bravado before. It was years ago on Bikeradar and there was a really cold stretch of weather in the UK, forum divided between 'careful wimps' and the 'proper cyclists' who see going out in bad weather as some kind of badge of honour.

2 of the members of that forum suffered broken hips during that weather plus numerous other injuries. I think the thread was locked in the end as some of the 'wimps' came back to get into arguments :boxing::laugh:🤷‍♂️

It’s no bravado it’s experience. I do wish people would base responses on experience rather than some notion based on bravery.

Bravado is continuing on in conditions when you realise it’s beyond your experience and comfort. As long as you head out with the notion you can turn round at any point, then things work just fine.

Last edited:

dodgy

It’s no bravado it’s experience. I do wish people would base responses on experience rather than some notion based on bravery.

Bravado is continuing on in conditions when you realise it’s beyond your experience and comfort. As long as you head out with the notion you can turn round at any point, then things work just fine.

Got it, up to 69mph and 99mph gusts is fine 🤷‍♂️

Relax, it's not totally serious.

When you have to get off and push down a 10% gradient then you know its a wee tad breezy

Top Bottom