How windy is too windy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've often wondered why there are no airspeed gauges for bikes - maybe there are.....
There are handheld meters.
The Skywatch Meteos has a tripod thread on the bottom and hence would lend itself to being mounted off the front of the handlebars.
It's also omnidirectional, and hence doesn't need pointing at the wind in the event of strong crosswinds.

Occasional strong winds can be entertaining, provided you're fit enough to cope with the extra work.
One I do remember was a 200k audax that had reports of a barn blowing across the road, and some riders being blown clear across the A420 (Chippenham to Marshfield) onto the verge on the other side. I'd taken a diversionary route in the lanes, so only had about 400 m of the A420 to do.
I've also found a tree across the road that wasn't there earlier in the ride.

Generally, larger riders cope better than smaller ones.

Milzy

Guru
Three of my club mates went out into the gales yesterday. They seemed to really enjoy it. I get the impression they get a feel good factor about been 'tough' but to me it's stupid because been on the road is already dangerous enough on a calm good weather day.
I'm watching Mike Cotty on the Col Collective desperate to venture out. It's a good job I like indoor training.

rivers

How far can I go?
I rode in my club's 10 mile TT yesterday. The last half was straight into the wind, and it was tough. I don't like my carbon bike in the wind...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depends on the terrain, I wouldn't cycle over the Forth Road Bridge in gusts over 30mph but Ive cycled in the Trossachs in gusts of 120mph

You just have to make sure the wind is blowing you in towards the bridge. On the Severn bridge you ride on the appropriate side depending which side the wind is blowing from.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You just have to make sure the wind is blowing you in towards the bridge. On the Severn bridge you ride on the appropriate side depending which side the wind is blowing from.
Whereas at Avonmouth, you don't have a choice!

Kryton521

Über Member
Coastal? I try and choose the direction of my rides so the wind throws me into the verge rather than into oncoming traffic. Got it wrong once and found myself heading straight for a very large volvo! Not funny!

Brandane

Legendary Member
If the neighbour's washing is flapping on the line, then it's too windy.
If there is no washing out, then it's too wet.
For me, cycling is a source of enjoyment, not endurance. I'm too old for that nonsense :laugh:.

dodgy

Unless the winds are over 70mph and gusting up to 100 mph it doesn’t affect you all that much other than slowing you down.

Ha, I've seen that kind of bravado before. It was years ago on Bikeradar and there was a really cold stretch of weather in the UK, forum divided between 'careful wimps' and the 'proper cyclists' who see going out in bad weather as some kind of badge of honour.

2 of the members of that forum suffered broken hips during that weather plus numerous other injuries. I think the thread was locked in the end as some of the 'wimps' came back to get into arguments :boxing::laugh:🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom