How windy is too windy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I often look at the flag in a neighbouring garden in order to help estimate wind speed and direction before leaving home on my bike. Earlier it was flapping quite vigorously, now I see it has been taken down................no cycling today((.

With side winds, you have to lean into the wind. If a truck or van overtakes it can block the wind, leaving you leaning into nothing.
Gusting wind from the side is highly dangerous and you need to be aware of big vehicles.
Blown debris can also be a danger.

12boy

Guru
Both my Brompton and Xootr Swift ( 20 inch folder) seem better in the wind than my 26 and 700c bikes, but aren't as good with ice and snow. Of course, here it's both in the winter. A common sight on the interstate highways on windy days are blown over semi trucks (18 wheeiers, lorries, vans). There's a good reason for teepee and in Mongolia, yurts.

snorri

Legendary Member
A breezy day on the Bealach:whistle:.
On the brighter side, there are no trees to get blown over and close the road:smile:.
1578426418167.png

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When the Forth Road Bridge is shut to cyclists and pedestrians ^_^

presta

Guru
I really don't know what wind speeds I've ridden in, but if you're touring in the middle of nowhere, and committed, you don't really have any choice. I remember crossing Tan Hill in a hoolie, with every gust throwing me out into the middle of the road and too much wind noise to hear the traffic coming. Fortunately it's a fairly quiet road.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was going to say, when there's a yellow warning of wind. However, I commuted this morning in such conditions :eek:
Did the actual conditions justify the yellow warning?
There would be a lot less traffic on my local road network if all of the 'high winds on bridges' warnings were heeded^_^.

lane

Veteran
Gusting at 50KPH (31MPH) is in my experince is OK. Gusting over 60KPH (37MPH) I probably stay indoors. Gusting at 50MPH I would definitely stay indoors unless I had a ferry or train to catch.

Signum-GB

Regular
Me personally if it's blowing a gale, wouldnt cycle in (11 mile commute on average). If its calm going in and blustery coming home, then I have to suck it up and try going a sheltered route home. For the reason I dont want to blown over into traffic behind and in front of me.

Top Bottom