How windy is too windy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Flakey

Well... I did cycle on Tuesday in 50mph gusts :laugh: In all seriousness - not nice at all. Luckily the roads I use are, for the most part, very quiet. Got up one hill fairly easy only to get to the exposed to, turn into a head wind and find myself to progress even on the small ring and large sprocket. Certainly didn't get any Strava achievemts.

Signum-GB

Regular
Well in this weather just now, safe to say I am taking the bus! 11 miles in those blustery winds doesnt appeal to me!

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Its gale to severe gale force here in the Isle of Man, ferry has not sailed for two days and is not scheduled to sail for another two!! 34 mph steady westerly gusting at over 50, parts of the Island are seeing 60 mph gusts, mail plane has not made it in today either and other inbound/outbound flights have been cancelled over the last few days...... its not cycling weather, just driven to the north of the island using the coast road, less windy than over the mountain road and I could see a few tankers/freight vessels at sea, close in, taking shelter from the wind/waves

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have to admit to having been out in all kinds of weather: headwinds hard enough to require use of the granny ring; gusts that make it difficult to stay on the tarmac (on exposed moorland roads); bits of wood being blown out of trees; and all that often with a good soaking in freezing driven rain.
But then, it would be boring if it was fine and sunny all the time, wouldn't it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well in this weather just now, safe to say I am taking the bus! 11 miles in those blustery winds doesnt appeal to me!
11 miles in a rectangular box in gusting crosswinds with no control and the driver trying to keep to a schedule appeals even less to me!

I was out in the 40 and 50mph winds. 40 is OK but tough. 50 becomes a challenge to aim at the occasional metre-wide narrow gaps to access certain useful cycle short-cuts - doable but tough and easy to tire your arms by grabbing the bars too tight. Stuff keeps getting blown onto the roads too. Not only trees. The A1078 is closed because there's an industrial unit roof on it and they can't start to clear it until today now the wind dropped.

I've ridden on the open fens in 65mph. The end got broken off the mudguard by the wind and generally exposed things like brake cables and the electric wires were getting battered. I won't rush to ride in that again.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well... I did cycle on Tuesday in 50mph gusts :laugh: In all seriousness - not nice at all. Luckily the roads I use are, for the most part, very quiet. Got up one hill fairly easy only to get to the exposed to, turn into a head wind and find myself to progress even on the small ring and large sprocket. Certainly didn't get any Strava achievemts.
I know it's a month ago... but wondering what alternative options you had to cycling to work?

For me it's a choice of ride or walk and I'd rather spend less time out in hazardous weather than more, so I'll almost always opt for the ride.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
First day back for me today too. Glad to be back on the bike

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Me too, not been out since the 7th, that's when the wind really started to ramp up, it should die down this afternoon so a quick 10 it is... hopefully

Ashimoto

Its been pretty bad here in Wigan the last couple of days but ive manged to get out and do a few miles. Not too bad in built up areas but i went out the other day into the country and the cross winds from the open fields were pretty bad. Once or twice i was nearly in the hedges. Stll wont stop me from going out though

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Went out and did 18 yesterday, mainly off road (disused) railway track a bit breezy but nice and calm compared to how it has been, last night out with the dogs and it was eerily calm, no wind at all.... lets wait for the next storm at the weekend (Dennis)

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Went out and did 18 yesterday, mainly off road (disused) railway track a bit breezy but nice and calm compared to how it has been, last night out with the dogs and it was eerily calm, no wind at all.... lets wait for the next storm at the weekend (Dennis)

Top Bottom