How windy is too windy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flakey

Forecast tomorrow is for 50mph winds.
10 mile commute INTO it. Too windy?

If it's OK - what would others deem "too windy"?

vickster

Legendary Member
Would be far too windy for me, effort and safety wise. I'll ride in up to 15-20mph winds...it's meant to be enjoyable cycling (even a commute), not torture (or made more dangerous)

vickster

Legendary Member
Good point. Let's hope my boss agrees 😉😁
No other ways to get to work? (unless you are contracted to cycle to work)...10 miles you could walk in under 3 hours ;)

Presumably those are forecast gusts, what's the average forecast?

geocycle

Legendary Member
For commuting, if the gusts are forecast less than 45 mph I’ll cycle the 5 mile direct route using the most sheltered urban route. If much more than that I’ll get the bus. For a leisure cycle I’ll not bother if average wind speed is greater than 20 mph.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The 50mph probably refers to gusts and unless your route is over an exposed hilltop you're very unlikely to experience anything like that in reality.

It wouldn't worry me, I suspect idiot drivers on an average calm day are far more dangerous than any amount of wind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 50mph probably refers to gusts and unless your route is over an exposed hilltop you're very unlikely to experience anything like that in reality.

It wouldn't worry me, I suspect idiot drivers on an average calm day are far more dangerous than any amount of wind.
What about getting blown in front of an idiot driver who hadn't anticipated a sudden gust of powerful crosswind hitting you...? :whistle:

I got blown off my bike in Spain once. It took off like a kite and I had to wrestle it back onto the road to stop it going over the barrier and down a ravine! I turned and headed back to the hotel and almost got clobbered by wheelie bins tumbling across the road.

vickster

Legendary Member

It’s the potentially being blown into the path of a driver that is the dangerous bit however, and it could be hard to argue you weren’t responsible if unable to control the bike

Slick

Guru
Lots will claim otherwise but 50mph is far too much for me as well. I remember having to pedal downhill on the Erskine bridge a few times but that was the exception and the wind always dropped once you got across.

Still doesn't mean I wouldn't get to work though. :wacko:

It's not so much head, or tail, winds that are the problem
It's the side-winds that can (quite literally) be lethal

As for headwinds.... good clues are;
1. Having to pedal, on 'little-ring' downhill
2. Not being able to breathe out properly, due to the wind in your face!!
3 .Having glasses, be they prescription or 'sunglasses', whipped off your face, when you turn to check over shoulder
(had it happen with an old pair of Mumbos that had a cracked frame, so a loose fit)

I’ve been caught out in some very nasty wind conditions. I’ve only got off and walked because of a 50 gusting to 70 mph cross wind, crossing a high bridge, near me. It’s busy, and there are buses and trucks passing, so trying to ride over in that, wasn’t a brilliant idea.

OP
OP
F

Flakey

Thanks for all the advice folks. The forecast is, I think, 50mph gusts (don't know what the constant wind speed is to be).
Not to be too bad for the morning commute. Think I'll take running gear with me and if the winds too bad on the return commute I'll leave the bike and run home.

Top Bottom