How windy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes! Way too windy.

Was ever so pleased to arrive home until I discovered I was sans-paniers. Doh!
icon_smile_blush.gif
Keys, wallet, phone, waterproofs, work clothes, EVERYTHING gone!! What a wally, they'd dropped off and I hadn't noticed.

Anyway, turned around (with the wind now w00t w00t) and there they were, 2 thirds of the ride back so big thanks to the good Samaritan who'd picked them up and hung them on the fence - everything intact.

Cycling back into the teeth of that gale, I wasn't quite sure how to feel.

Tynan

Veteran
best place to hit a ped is when they step out from the front of a bus, I locked the rear wheel of my scooter a few years ago on the Kilburn High Road as a group of schoolkids waltzed out from behind a stopped bus, fotunately it allowed enough time for them to all screech and scatter, they seem to find it funny

wind not too bad tonight but it was defo about and getting worse, I have a good memory for the strongest wind and the heaviest rain I've ridden in, so I always see it relatively

you can keep the weather up north

Aye, a very strong headwind for me on the way home tonight. The last third of my commute is quite exposed, so I fel the full force. Certainly down a gear or three on normal! :ohmy:

ACS

Legendary Member
Off with man flu so no trip in today. One of the advantages of being off is to witness the wind taking my back fence down. Two 4x6 panels and a couple of posts toppled. Bah!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Strong headwind on the way in for me today - according to our local weather station it was 35mph ave and 54mph gusts! Didn't get into the big ring all commute and had to pedal down all the hills.

Way home was better. What I found really unsettling though was picking up the big sidewind blasts on part of my commute. Holding the bike upright seemed to be the biggest hassle.

Oh well, it wasn't raining :smile: (although it is now :sad:)

I am about to get very, very wet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say I didn't enjoy the wind today, out there for 4 trips (including site visit) and my knees/hamstrings are suffering from yesterday's Manchester 100...... ouch.

Missed the rain though, just..........

D

Deleted member 1258

On holiday this week so I missed today's wind and rain, but I got caught on yesterdays ride, coming back into a gusty headwind it started raining a few miles after I left the cafe and I did twenty miles in a downpour only for it to stop and the sun to come out as I turned into my road.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi,

Got soaked on the way home. It was predicted, but sometimes they get it wrong.
Was cycling into a 16mph headwind and the rain felt almost horizontal - this may not sound like a lot to you Northern chaps, but it's about the worst I've ever faced (since starting in March).

Got home and was soaked right through - Clothes/Trainers/Gloves still drying out downstairs!

MG

Fought through the wind to get to work. Delighted to say it's blowing in the same direction, so it'll be freewheeling all the way home shouting 'wheeee'.

The threatened deluge has held off and is not due here for another few hours.

Cool or what? :thumbsup:

mark i

I normally get the train in the morning (so I arrive at work without smelling too bad) and then cycle all the way home. In is to the East and home is West. I normally therefore have a short ride with a tailwind and a headwind on the way home. Yesterday I was absolutely flying on the way home! A couple of weeks ago it was the other way round. On the Monday I actually stopped to check that my brakes were not binding on the rim!

Top Bottom