How's cycling around Lincolnshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I lived in south Lincolnshire (Boston) until I was 19 and then I moved away (several decades ago now). My recollections of cycling round there (the fens) are that it was pretty much unpleasant. I recall cycling to and camping near Caistor just to do Claxby/Normanby le Wold. Things got a bit better going away from Boston north towards Spilsby/Woodhall Spa/Horncastle (basically the start of the Wolds). Some nice hills near Grantham too but nasty roads to get there from Boston.

There are some nice little lanes but the landscape can get monotonous and variations to routes can be difficult due to long straight roads, dead ends and "drains" (drainage canals) with few crossing points.

In more recent times, I've done part of the Water Rail Way (up to Stixwould) which was very nice (except for the Holland Fen bit but it wasn't too bad - I did have a head wind and it was raining hard). The routes from Boston to the west (or vice versa) are pretty awful and it's better to go up the Water Rail Way and turn west past Tattershall Bridge, or go south towards Spalding and then turn west.

As I remember, a few of the locals (in the fens) like to think that they're in the Dukes of Hazard and are driving "General Lee". I also recall that whilst night cycling on long straight roads, cars coming the other way would dazzle me from what seemed like half a mile away and if i was lucky, they would dip their headlamps within a couple of hundred yards of me.

Top Bottom