Hows this for stoopid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Went for a blat on the trike this afternoon, on my way home I came to a set of red lights, pulled up in primary in the ASL box and another cyclist bombed past on the inside and shot the lights at speed.

I'm sat there shaking my head when some bloke in a 4x4 pulls into the ASL box, winds his window down and congratulates me for not jumping the lights.

I thanked him then pointed out that he had now broken the law in order to tell me something I knew already and to stop driving like a patronising git!

What's a cyclist gotta do?

T x

bonj2

oh, christ on a bike! :sad::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes: what a tit

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
did I not say I washed his windows and sold hima copy of the Big Issue before the lights changed?

Wot so silly about trike?

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Considering how feelings run on this forum over issues such as cars in ASL boxes, I'm happy to have been in the position to accept the compliment and gently point out an error made the motorist in question.
I only pointed out that he was in the ASL after he started saying that my clothes weren't actually bright enough, ie, having to find some fault in my being on the road.

I took his praise in good faith until he had to find something to put me down for. I am always happy to have pleasant exchanges with motorists but if it is misplaced or even patronising I respond.
Am I imagining an update to the HC where a car may enter an ASL in order to compliment cyclists?

Forgive my nerdiness, I already feel to be nerdy enough by cyclists who RLJ past me cursing because I have stopped in their way.

Tynan

Veteran
indeed, I'm rather aware of late of getting the way of RLJs by stopping (gasp) at red lights, screw them

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
On Sunday returning home with Ms. tdr1nka, on foot, we were half way across a pelican crossing and wandered right into the path of a speeding & RLJ'ing cyclist who cursed and tutted as he had to go round us to get past.
I seriously had to stop myself from nudging him over as he went past.
If it had been a car I would have kicked it.

There is simply a total lack of courtesy on the roads and I'm finding this more evident in cyclists and dunno why this is. It's not just a London thing either.

tdr1nka said:
There is simply a total lack of courtesy on the roads and I'm finding this more evident in cyclists and dunno why this is. It's not just a London thing either.

Up until a few years ago (5-10 years at a guess) fewer people cycled. It was only mad folk, or the really dedicated who used a bike to get from A to B. (at least that was the perception!) Then climate change, bombs, obesity, traffic jams, pollution etc either got worse or happened. More people saw cycling as an option.

The problem is that an increasing proportion of the new cyclists (I'm fairly new as I have only been commuting for 2.5 years now) aren't dedicated cyclists, or particularly interested in road cycling safely. They are just people wanting to get from A to B. They don't always understand or care about safety/the law and just live in their own wee bubble, just as if they were in a car.

I think cab was right a while ago, when he said, people (some not all) will break the law when they think they can get away with it. Cyclists will red light jump and pavement cycle, drivers will speed.

How we get to these people, I don't know. Enforcement is probably the only method that truly works (average speed cameras are the first method that really has had an effect on speeding).

I'd love to think we could get to hearts and minds and I will keep trying, but sometimes I do wonder....:biggrin:

Top Bottom