Hows your 2018 going...!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time, @hondated.

Mine is getting better after a shaky start.

We were hugely busy at work right up to mid-April when my mother died suddenly. Work had eased off a bit but not enough to grieve properly. I managed to snatch some holiday to recharge my batteries; however having to promise to stay in touch with work wasn't ideal.

On Monday I have a second interview for another job. So I am keeping everything crossed, especially that I can have a break before I start if I get it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not bad in all fairness and thanks for asking

gaz71

Über Member
On the bike im not having the best of times,for some reason i cant get myself motivated to go out and get some miles in.Works alot busier so by the time it comes to going home im too knackered to take the long route home.Got this week off so im going to get off my arse and do a few gentle 10/15 mile rides and hope to start enjoying it again.

gbb

Legendary Member
Family wise, our best for several years after a torrid 3 years due to influences beyond our control but this years has seen a coming together again and its been brilliant, cementing new and old family relationships. We invested a lot of time and support into our latest addition to the family over those three years and now have a DIL we adore (we always did but she came with baggage that was others doing) and spend loads of time with the grandkids. I consider my DIL my daughter now and she thinks of me as a dad...its brilliant.
Cycling started reasonably well, still building up over the last few years but now i seem afflicted with osteo arthritis and tbh, its knocking the stuffing out of me, ache terribly in the morning, ache worse in the evening...so much so i outright refused to go on a bike ride last night simply because i ache so much. I hope this isnt going to become a regular thing...now looking at dietary measures, an uptake in oily fish, spinach etc to see if that helps. I look at the house and can't even consider DIY or decorating at the moment, no way. That side is all a bit depressing,

But, we both have jobs and reasonable income, our own house, family around us...what the heck have i got to complain about in the scheme of things.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Probably will not be able to continue to do it but for now I have tried to reply to each message.
DC Lane Sorry to read about your fall & virus. I remember praising your sons cycling efforts so hopefully he too is over the virus. Hopefully you will be back to longer rides soon.
Beebo Like it.
slowmotion Your right.
Raleigh nut Hopefully it gets better.
Dave 123 Hope by this Sunday your feeling better.
Fossyant Sorry to read you have spinal pain. Just be careful 57 with those happy pills as you dont want to get addicted to them.
pjd Glad you've recovered ok & well done on the mileage.
User13710 Thank you and when I see kids with terrible illnesses it puts everything into some perspective for me.
Chris Doyle Great news Chris & dont let the Bs get you down.
Kevin_cambs_uk Good news settee beer tv sounds good to me.
Vantage Sorry about the stroke and I hope your relapse is temporary. Just hope you get an appointment quicker than it takes me to get.
Wonderful to read the girls are doing so well at school and are happy living with you. Brilliant get out on that new bike as soon as you can.
Old Jon Jon enjoyed following you for some time so I am aware of your accident and sorry to read about it. Know what a keen cyclist you are I wont be surprised to read if your back on your bike sooner than planned.
tyred Great positive news. Very pleased to read your new job is less stressful and you are happier than you have ever been. Wow losing 3 stone I wished I could. Also great to read your about to complete riding the west coast. Your dad sounds like a fighter and so is his son. Dont forget we are all here during any down times.

It doesn't matter whatever problems we have there is always someone definitely worse off.
User9609 What can I say other than brilliant. Enjoy & worry about going back to work when you have to.
Electric _Andy Thanks Andy Just so glad you've got rid of back pain after 37 years.
alicat Thanks ac Its tough when you lose your mum so make sure you have time to grieve properly. I remember walking some of the West Highland Way which helped when I lost mine and it helped. Good luck with the interview and if you can get that break before you start if you are successful.
biggs 682 Great and hopefully the rest of 2018 will be the same for you.
gaz71 Sounds like a few duvet days might help.
gbb So great to read family relationships have improved and you are now really close to your DIL. OA doesn't sound too good so if a new diet doesn't help seek medical advice. Yes I agree its better to count our blessings at times.
pjd57 Thanks pjd I think my motivation was a troubled shared etc and I too have been as interested to read from our friends their positive experiences as much as those that have also had a bad start to the year.
* Never forgotten how we lost Vernon Pie man and reading his positive threads.
Finally thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply and its great to know we are all here to help each other when we need to Ted

robjh

Legendary Member
On the purely cycling front I'm feeling happy today as I've just passed 4000 miles for this year.

I still have a slight limp from coming off on ice in January, but it's nearly healed and has not kept me off the bike.
Otherwise life has been quite good, I'm lucky.

I echo @User9609's comment, though substituting semi-retired :
[QUOTE 5283523, member: 9609"]Just brilliant.... being retired is just like more brilliant than you could ever imagine in a million years, I'm fitter and stronger than I have been for a very long time, wish I could shake off this cycling obsession though, its cutting too much into being in the garden. ^_^[/QUOTE]

Old jon

Guru
[QUOTE 5284646, member: 9609"]A little warning to those planning retirement - you will have no idea how fast time speeds up, and the bizarre reality in that you will seem to have less time to get things done then when you were working 12 hours a day. I'm not sure if I have ever felt under as much time pressure as I do now. weeks seem to go by in days.

The nights start closing in after tomorrow, hows that happened we had the beast from the east just weeks ago - whats going on?[/QUOTE]

Yup, retired and where the doo dah has my time gone? Not complaining, just wondering. Gently. Who could complain with a view like this from the kitchen window?

In the Cloud.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
It's going far faster than I would like.

I know, I need a Tardis. Happy solstice everyone:blush:. For the record, the end of 2017 was a bit crappy for me, 5 weeks off work recovering from major stomach surgery plus two months off the bike!.

Top Bottom