HTC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'm a fairly avid iPhone fan, but, I'm getting frustrated by Apples "screw em" mentality.

Can the HTC equivalents basically do the same job but without the restriction of having to use itunes ring tones, won't play flash etc?

Normal phones such as Htc's Nokia 5800 n96/7 etc. can do everything that the iphone can, even better than the iphone, they just don't have the apps that iphone does.

rusky

CC Addict
Normal phones such as Htc's Nokia 5800 n96/7 etc. can do everything that the iphone can, even better than the iphone, they just don't have the apps that iphone does.

The Android phones, HTC Desire etc are very capable with loads of apps.

rsvdaz

good thread..I will be watching with interest...I have a 3g iphone and still waiting for stock for the 4

interested to know what else is around....as far as i can tell the desire requires a micro sd card?

my last smart phone before the iphone had a co-pilot and gps..miss that on the iphone

do the new batch have satnav that dont rely on 3g....as i need this when abroad

rusky

CC Addict
good thread..I will be watching with interest...I have a 3g iphone and still waiting for stock for the 4

interested to know what else is around....as far as i can tell the desire requires a micro sd card?

my last smart phone before the iphone had a co-pilot and gps..miss that on the iphone

do the new batch have satnav that dont rely on 3g....as i need this when abroad

AFAIK, all the phones use AGPS, where the 3G signal assists the GPS in obtaining a fix. with the Android phones, you can turn off data roaming so you don't get sting for charges.

Noodley

I was going to be asking a Q about HTC phones, so I might as well ask on this thread - hope you don't mind.

I am looking at getting elder Noodlette a new phone for her birthday and liked the look of the HTC HD mini. Anyone know the phone or have one able to let me know if that would be a good choice for a teenager who will be using it for texts and internet.

Thanks

rusky

CC Addict
I was going to be asking a Q about HTC phones, so I might as well ask on this thread - hope you don't mind.

I am looking at getting elder Noodlette a new phone for her birthday and liked the look of the HTC HD mini. Anyone know the phone or have one able to let me know if that would be a good choice for a teenager who will be using it for texts and internet.

Thanks

Personally, I would go for an android phone rather than a Windows phone as there are loads of apps/games available.

If she's a hardcore texter, a touchscreen phone might not suit her though & all smartphones apart from Blackberry are T/S.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've been using HTC phones for a good few years now. They basically come in two flavours: Windows Mobile (now known as Windows Phone) and Android (backed by Google). I currently have an HTC Hero (Android) with an extended battery and prefer it over the iPhone for a few reasons: first and most important, that battery. My Hero can now spend up to 48 hours without going near a powerpoint or a USB cable. Once the battery is worn out (and rechargable batteries by design only last around 12 months) I can replace it by popping the back off the phone. Try that with an iPhone. Secondly my choice of apps isn't limited to what Apple think I should have, true you do get some iffily developed apps which cause problems but just uninstall them. I'm not sure about whether the Hero plays Flash, it plays YouTube which I though was based on Flash.

With regards to the HTC HD Mini, I personally would stay away from it for now as Windows Phone 7 is due for release towards the end of the year. You may say "ah but being cutting edge doesn't matter to me) and I accept that however it matters to a lot of people many of whom may ditch their HD Minis cheaply on ebay.

With all smartphones, iphone or HTC (I'm not sure about the Nokias as I haven't had one since the N91) you will notice that battery life is atrocious!! Extended batteries help but don't expect the days of the old Nokia 5110 which had to be charged once a week.

Hope this helps.

rusky

CC Addict
A guy at work has the Desire, he also has an iPhone. I asked him which he prefers, apparently the desire wins hands down!

Debian

The iPhone4 is not very good at all. Reported faults include:

Attrocious battery life.

Signal and call drop out unless you hold it "the right way" (i.e. don't touch the lower left corner - which is almost impossible if you hold the phone left handed)

Proximity sensor not working correctly.

Poor sound quality.

Glass front and back which chips as soon as you look at it.

Yellow blobs and streaks on the screen.

This recent comment on a respected tech review site says it all:

"When you put it all together, the iPhone 4 may not be the best device for conducting business. Of course--as long as you hold the iPhone 4 the "correct" way, but not too close to your face, while leaving it connected to a charging source--it is an excellent smartphone. That is if you don't mind sounding ...like you're in a tin can."

Noodley

Can't really afford the Desire, but found HTC Wildfire which looks good...and it's android not windows as mentioned earlier.

Debian

Can't really afford the Desire, but found HTC Wildfire which looks good...and it's android not windows as mentioned earlier.

The Wildfire has the Older 528MHz processor as opposed to the 1GHz Snapdragon processor that the Desire has. That might become an issue a few months down the line when Android 2.2 is released and associated apps are produced that rely on greater processing power.

My 12 month old Hero is already looking distinctly slow alongside newer phones despite me loading it with a modified MCR 2.9 ROM and better radio; it has the same processor as the Wildfire.

Noodley

Thanks Debian. I'm looking for a phone on O2 (only decent reception round these parts that I know for sure) for £25 p/m....Desire was £30. Maybe need to re-think

i have recently got an htc desire it is the best phone i have ever had and does everything i want it to.
i have read that android 2.2 will be coming to certain htc handsets including desire in Q3 of this year, as software update.

android 2.2

Top Bottom