Huge toothed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Had to goggle 46 tooth cassette, TBH thought you guys where having fun as never even knew a cassette like this existed? Thats really extreme and at 46 teeth its as big as many a chainring? Perhaps a silly question but who would use one?

I have a MTB with a 11-46T cassette - that’s the small one! Two others have 10-50T. The gravel bike is very old-fashioned at 11-42.

Jameshow

Veteran
You should have grilled @GuyBoden while you had the chance on our recent rides! (That should summon him here for his input... :whistle:)

Is guy ok?!!

Think we need a night ride out to guy Boden mansion! Think it's in Cheadle!

He must be doing something of importance rather than forum surfing!!

GuyBoden

Guru
What do I need to run one?
I'm currently running a 12-36t cassette on the bike using a standard cage deore rear mech. That's rated to 34t but seems fine with the 36.
I'm planning on sticking an 11-42 or 46t cassette on. I know I'll need a longer chain and a hanger extender at the very least. But I'm wondering if the extender will give me enough reach for the 46t if I go that route.
Please tell me I won't need one of those shadow rear mechs...
Sorry, bit late, I've been in Kent. I have fitted a 12-42T rear cassette with a nine speed Deore RD-591 to a few bikes over the years. (You need the Deore RD-591, it's non shadow.)

I didn't need an extension hanger, all I used was a very long B stop screw, they are a M4 bolt. Works fine, but depends on your frame's RD hanger.

I have other setups using 10 speed MTB RDs, but these need more cable pull. I've never used a 46T, but you'll need an extension hanger with 46T. Best of luck. @Vantage

Last edited:
If I put a 52T cassette on my mtb I would have a reasonably low gear. Smallest chainring is 22T :laugh:
* i assume it isn't actually possible with a 42-32-22 chainset?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is guy ok?!!

Think we need a night ride out to guy Boden mansion! Think it's in Cheadle!

He must be doing something of importance rather than forum surfing!!

He’s washing his hair

GuyBoden

Guru
@Vantage below is my latest build, a Look carbon fibre/alloy frame with 8 speed barend shifters and a 12-42T rear 8 speed cassette. The rear derailleur is a nine speed Deore RD-591, it has a Spa front triple 24-34-44T. Looks nice and rides nice.:okay:

With barends.jpg

RD 42T Cassette.jpg

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
On a tight budget so arriving tomorrow is a Sunrace 11-40t 9spd cassette and 2 chains which I'll Frankenstein together. Can't afford one of them stupid overpriced ebike chains. A hanger extender thingybob is also on its way.
I've checked and mine is the Deore RD-M591 mech. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

GuyBoden

Guru
On a tight budget so arriving tomorrow is a Sunrace 11-40t 9spd cassette and 2 chains which I'll Frankenstein together. Can't afford one of them stupid overpriced ebike chains. A hanger extender thingybob is also on its way.
I've checked and mine is the Deore RD-M591 mech. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Your Deore RD-M591derailleur might work fine with a longer 20-25mm "B" stop screw, they are a M4 bolt, not a M5 as I previously stated, I have just checked. Happy fettling :okay:

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Well I did the conversion last night. No issues.
The kmc x9 chain only needed 3 extra links and even that I think may be a tad on the long side. So, 117 links all in with a 40t cassette on the rear and a 40t chainring upfront. I did use the hanger extender. It'll make a good sacrificial mech hanger if I fall off and that does happen quite often. I had to wind the b screw all the way out to get the thing shifting properly though.
I think when I have the money, I'll invest in a 46t cassette as with the current gearing the motor is still running at a very slow rpm at doggy speed of 5-6mph.
Still, it's soooooo smooooooth. I do like new drivetrains ^_^

Top Bottom