Humber Bridge closed to cycling and pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reading the comments it sounds like some people have jumped

which is sad and tragic

but it also sounds like the obvious solution would increase the effect of the wind on the bridge which could (and I'm possibly adding stuff here) compromise the safety of the whole bridge.
Or maybe it would just costs too much money to stop people being able to climb the railings??

Either way I am rather dubious when all walking and cycling is banned with no published plan, no plan to make a plan - and no dates for re-opening

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Erskine Bridge, across the Clyde, has been used by numerous people to jump to their deaths. The solution was an anti-suicide fence which is nigh on impossible to climb due to its height and inward curvature. Other designs include a veil of wires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

(I realise the Erskine Bridge is only a fraction of the length of the Humber Bridge.)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
So the paths are closed - anything stopping one from riding across on the road?

Looks like it:
View: https://twitter.com/HumBridgeNews/status/1378333928134742017
. Motorcycles and mopeds permitted, not bikes. https://www.humberbridge.co.uk/humberbridge/toll-charges-restrictions/

This bit's therefore out-of-date: https://www.humberbridge.co.uk/ufaq...e-on-the-bridge-will-the-footpaths-be-open-2/

OldShep

Über Member
This sign

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
The FNRttC York to Hull isn't happening this year, and may now just be one for the memories. There are 'No Cycling' signs on the road, and I wouldn't fancy the windsuck of a passing artic. There seem to be sad and valid reasons for the closure, presumably till some sort of solution can be found, funded and installed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is tragic that people are choosing to jump off the bridge, but I don't see how the ban is going to save desperate people in the future. What if they drive halfway across then just stop their car and get out before anybody can stop them?

Alternatively, they go to a different bridge instead? This bridge over the A63 at Hessle is only 300 metres from the Humber Bridge.

Even if you had security guards preventing access to the Humber Bridge, people could be at this one within 5 or 10 minutes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Local council had eight foot high wire fences, similar to those around schools, erected on a local bridge. They didn't erect any such fencing on the bridge above it. Doesn't stop anyone walking out onto the higher bridge. Or driving out and stopping as mentioned above.

"No Hope Bridge"/"Bridge of No Hope" over the M62, was enclosed to stop people doing this.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What if they drive halfway across then just stop their car and get out before anybody can stop them?
Nothing. Indeed, people have. The bridge was not closed to cars.

This is collective punishment of active travel instead of spending any money doing the right things. Try spotting the cyclist on the Humber Bridge management board.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is tragic that people are choosing to jump off the bridge, but I don't see how the ban is going to save desperate people in the future. What if they drive halfway across then just stop their car and get out before anybody can stop them?

Alternatively, they go to a different bridge instead? This bridge over the A63 at Hessle is only 300 metres from the Humber Bridge.

View attachment 582196

Even if you had security guards preventing access to the Humber Bridge, people could be at this one within 5 or 10 minutes.

Oh dear, doesn't look good for the York-Humber Bridge-York day ride.

Having said that, @ColinJ's latest route brings us to the north side of the bridge, so we only cross it for the sake of it, and to get our scran at the very agreeable bait stop on the south bank.

The ride's a good 'un in lots of other respects, but doing it without the bridge would rip the guts out of it.

It's not only cyclists who will be unimpressed with the closure.

Each time I've been across, the path has been quite busy with pedestrians, and on one occasion, an organised charity jog.

Top Bottom