Humber Bridge closed to cycling and pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Side-note:
I'm always amazed that people walk over these long bridges. Understandable for a few if it's an essential journey, but it's a long way as a leisure activity! And the traffic is really noisy.
I always see someone on the Severn crossing to Chepstow. Must take blimmin ages, and there's no real attractions on the English side. (There isn't much more of a view from the middle, than from the banks.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS, but from reading Richard Lake's comments on his video, the fuzz told him "it's private property, they can do what they like."
I can't be certain without seeing all the Acts, but "The Board is deemed to be the traffic authority for the highway on the bridge" in the 2013 Act makes me think that there is a highway, so the board can no more "do what they like" than any other toll highway operator. They are constrained by law and that law says they act as a traffic authority, which normally means a TRO process. Even if property is private, there can be a public right of way across it, as we know from byways, bridleways, cycle tracks and footpaths.

The police are often wrong on traffic law, but generally it's not a good idea to argue the toss on the street unless there's strong evidence readily to hand (such as being stopped for cycling on the footway within sight of a white-bike-on-blue-circle sign).

Solocle

Über Member
I can't be certain without seeing all the Acts, but "The Board is deemed to be the traffic authority for the highway on the bridge" in the 2013 Act makes me think that there is a highway, so the board can no more "do what they like" than any other toll highway operator. They are constrained by law and that law says they act as a traffic authority, which normally means a TRO process. Even if property is private, there can be a public right of way across it, as we know from byways, bridleways, cycle tracks and footpaths.

The police are often wrong on traffic law, but generally it's not a good idea to argue the toss on the street unless there's strong evidence readily to hand (such as being stopped for cycling on the footway within sight of a white-bike-on-blue-circle sign).
And let's not forget that the board keep tweeting that the bridge is "open to all traffic". :okay:

Reactions: mjr

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Side-note:
I'm always amazed that people walk over these long bridges. Understandable for a few if it's an essential journey, but it's a long way as a leisure activity! And the traffic is really noisy.
I always see someone on the Severn crossing to Chepstow. Must take blimmin ages, and there's no real attractions on the English side. (There isn't much more of a view from the middle, than from the banks.)
You should see the hoards walking over the Forth Road Bridge at weekends just now, even though we are supposed to remain within our own LA area at present. It's so busy is makes using the shared cycle path quite unpleasant (oddly enough we can cycle into a neighbouring area for exercise as long as its not an organised group).

I have walked over the Tay, Forth and Severn Bridges in my time.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Side-note:

I do wonder why people go across to Barton-on-Humber to sightsee: there's not much there apart from the nature reserve. And I've nothing against the place; my grand-mother came from the town.

T4tomo

Guru
Didn't someone once say its not the destination its the journey that counts.

Cycling over the Humber bridge was on my list of things to do (its juts a hell of journey from Hertfordshire) , I wouldn't really care which side to which, nor what was at the "other" side.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We just used the visitor centre cafe as an excuse to do the bridge in both directions! :okay:

(Originally, the Humber Bridge forum ride came in from the south side and only did the bridge northwards after the cafe stop, but I prefer the riding north of the river and liked the dual crossing so I changed the route. It's a pity that we couldn't do the ride last year because of the pandemic, and won't be able to again until this ban is lifted.)

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cycling over the Humber bridge was on my list of things to do (its juts a hell of journey from Hertfordshire) , I wouldn't really care which side to which, nor what was at the "other" side.
If you are only cycling over it one way, North to South is the easiest :okay:

Venod

Eh up
For those of you not a member of Cycling UK here is the letter sent to the Humber Bridge Authority. I do hope they sort it soon its a good 100 miler for me, I have various routes some with with a fair bit of off road riding.

Attachments

• 21-04-08_dd_humber-bridge_let.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom