Humorous nicknames.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We have a chap at work who we call "Tick Tock". He had a pacemaker fitted a couple of years back.
Also the "Tourettes Kid" because of continual bad and foul language.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There was one of those extended correspondence rallies in The Guardian about footballers' nicknames a few years back - I kept some of the better entrants:

A few years ago, my club Man City signed a player called Kizito Musampa. He became known as Chris.

Let's not forget the former Everton player Neil Pointon, or "Disser". His early promise wasn't quite fulfilled.

Some years ago Sheffield Wednesday had a constructive midfield player called Gilles de Bilde, known affectionately to team-mates as Bob.

Leicester Tigers have this year played a centre who is simply known as "36". His surname is Twelvetrees.

...much travelled defender currently on loan at Newcastle, "One Size" Fitz Hall.

I particularly liked the "second-generation" nickname given to Carlos Eduardo Ventura, a Brazilian who played in Portugal and who was nicknamed Duda. That name, in turn, acquired a prefix – Zippedy.

Justin Edinburgh (Tottenham and England) was known as Leith.

Australian rugby player Matt Hilder is known as Waltzing.

Supporters of Grimsby Town (aka the Mariners) always refer to their custodian of the net as the Ancient Mariner, because he stoppeth one in three.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An acquaintance of mine was known for getting into fights which he usually lost.

Known as 'lino' because that's where he often ended up.

There's a police officer locally who is of Norwegian heritage and has the name Jorvin.

Corrupted by those in the nick to 'Jarvis' which in turn is short for 'Jarvis Copper', which for those who don't know, is a corruption of the name of the Blur lead singer Jarvis Cocker.

All of which goes to demonstrate the tortuous construction of some nicknames.

U

User169

A kid who lived opposite me who was known as "Boggy" after a bowl of prunes at scout camp wreaked havoc. The name was used to such an extent that I'd known him for a couple of years before I realized what his actual name was.

U

User169

The Stovold brothers played cricket for Gloucstershire in the 70s and 80s. Andy, a keeper at the start of his career, was noted for his high-pitched appeal, and became known as "Squeak". Inevitably, his brother Martin was soon called "Bubble". A Kent swing bowler who I shan't name was known as "Bunga", short for bungalow, because he didn't have much upstairs. Vic Marks, now a journalist and commentator, was always "skid Marks" (or skidder). Mark Alleyne, the Gloucestershire opening batsman, was "boo-boo", because he was the king of the swingers (swing bowlers, before any rumours start). An Essex opening batsman was called Zog, or Zoggie, because that was the planet he obviously came from. The Waugh brothers were each called Tugga. And so on. Sporting teams are rich material for nicknames.

Steve Waugh was Tugga. I'd heard Junior for Mark Waugh, but wiki says Afghan too (the forgotten Waugh).

I always thought Robin Smith's nickname "Judge" was one of the better cricket ones.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's a copper called Lumpy. Made the error of having a fry up, and then going for a lunchtime run with the custody sergeant. Breakfast put in a second appearance, and the consistency was rather lumpy.

There used to be a copper in MK called Zippy, after he had to be taken to hospital, screaming in agony, with his old chap shut in his zip.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We used to call one of our managers at Ramsgate Hoverport ‘FUB’.
The ‘U’ was for useless. I’m sure you can guess what the other two stood for.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I should get my eyes tested whilst there too as I often think I’m also seeing hand gestures when I turn away.

No, they really are offering you a coffee.
And any mention of you being a Gareth Hunt is merely comparing your rugged good looks.

gareth.jpg

Top Bottom