Hungry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cycling does make you hungry for the first few months but then it settles down to the point where you eat as you did before.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cycling does make you hungry for the first few months but then it settles down to the point where you eat as you did before.

8 years later and I'm still waiting for it to settle down.
But then again i'm a mile muncher which makes me a food muncher too.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think it does depend on your miles. I speak mainly as a commuter whereas you also century rides.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I think it does depend on your miles. I speak mainly as a commuter whereas you also century rides.
Yes, but it also depends on your effort level. 20 miles at 20mph is going to use more calories than 20 miles at 15mph, as the effort needed to push your way through the air rises exponentially (I think) above about 14mph, if something I read on the internet once is true (and if I remember it correctly). I work on the basis of using 700 calories per hour at my reasonably high effort level.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't use Strava to calculate calories, but instead any one of the online calculators. I just tried this one and got a similar result:
http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/calorie.asp

Even completely flat, it says that at 16 mph doing 16 miles, you burn 970 calories. Of course, there's no way my commute is completely flat - there probably isn't a single stretch of flat road along the whole route, you're always going either up or down a hill - so if the calculator is accurate, I might even be entitled to more, but I'll play it safe for now.
It most definitely is not.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How do you know it isn't? Pretty much every calorie calculator I've tried gives similar results.
Do you seriously think, that some calculator you googled is capable of telling you how many calories you burn in 1hr cycling at 16mph - Given the generally little info they require to churn out a number???

Kookas

Über Member
Do you seriously think, that some calculator you googled is capable of telling you how many calories you burn in 1hr cycling at 16mph - Given the generally little info they require to churn out a number???

It's approximate, by accurate I wasn't talking to the nearest calorie but the nearest couple hundred or so. The body isn't that precise anyway.

Top Bottom