Hungry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I eat before the ride and during. When i get back i try to eat some protein based food but tbh i'm usually more thirsty than hungry.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am permanently hungry, due to the amount of cycling I do.
I eat all good stuff.. but i'm a natural food intake lover. :hungry:

I tend to snack on fruit (fresh and dried) during the day which helps keep the hunger pangs away.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Why does cycling make you so hungry. Do you eat loads all the time? I haven't done any other sport that makes you so hungry, costs a fortune!
I'm with ianrauk, the cycling has me trying to put those missing calories back in, because I ride about the same distances. On the bright side, my weight hasn't fluctuated by more than 1-2kg over the last several years :smile:. My commute is about 1 hour 5 min to work and 1 hour 35 mins from work (total elapsed time), so over 13 hours a week.

sheffgirl

I have the same problem, I don't even do that much cycling but I'm always hungry lately. I seem to always be eating but I haven't put a single pound on. I feel like I have to eat all the time just to keep my weight stable, its quite low as it is, my BMI is only 18.7.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Word of warning though, if you are forced to take a break from cycling try and reduce your intake accordingly!

image.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Well, last year I guesstimated that my cycling and swimming accounted for about 500,000 calories. Which, roughly speaking, means that I don't really stop eating, other than when I sleep.

Kookas

Über Member
Well, last year I guesstimated that my cycling and swimming accounted for about 500,000 calories. Which, roughly speaking, means that I don't really stop eating, other than when I sleep.

My 16-mile commute earns me an extra 1000 calories to spend. Coupled with the fact that I'm stocky and 6'2, means I have a daily budget of 3500 delicious calories. Mmm. I mostly just eat peanut butter on toast when I am hungry, though.

vickster

Legendary Member
How did you get from 16 miles to 1000 calories out of interest?

I did 11 miles today, Strava calculated 400 odd which matches my usual 1 mile = 40 calories (I am no lightweight)!

Kookas

Über Member
How did you get from 16 miles to 1000 calories out of interest?

I did 11 miles today, Strava calculated 400 odd which matches my usual 1 mile = 40 calories (I am no lightweight)!

I don't use Strava to calculate calories, but instead any one of the online calculators. I just tried this one and got a similar result:
http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/calorie.asp

Even completely flat, it says that at 16 mph doing 16 miles, you burn 970 calories. Of course, there's no way my commute is completely flat - there probably isn't a single stretch of flat road along the whole route, you're always going either up or down a hill - so if the calculator is accurate, I might even be entitled to more, but I'll play it safe for now.

Top Bottom