Hungry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikerchick

Why does cycling make you so hungry. Do you eat loads all the time? I haven't done any other sport that makes you so hungry, costs a fortune!

billy1561

BB wrecker
I eat before the ride and during. When i get back i try to eat some protein based food but tbh i'm usually more thirsty than hungry.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am permanently hungry, due to the amount of cycling I do.
I eat all good stuff.. but i'm a natural food intake lover. :hungry:

I tend to snack on fruit (fresh and dried) during the day which helps keep the hunger pangs away.

OP
OP
B

Bikerchick

I am permanently hungry, due to the amount of cycling I do.
I eat all good stuff.. but i'm a natural food intake lover. :hungry:

I tend to snack on fruit (fresh and dried) during the day which helps keep the hunger pangs away.

How much riding do you do? I try and get out every day for 2-3 hours

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Why does cycling make you so hungry. Do you eat loads all the time? I haven't done any other sport that makes you so hungry, costs a fortune!
I'm with ianrauk, the cycling has me trying to put those missing calories back in, because I ride about the same distances. On the bright side, my weight hasn't fluctuated by more than 1-2kg over the last several years :smile:. My commute is about 1 hour 5 min to work and 1 hour 35 mins from work (total elapsed time), so over 13 hours a week.

sheffgirl

I have the same problem, I don't even do that much cycling but I'm always hungry lately. I seem to always be eating but I haven't put a single pound on. I feel like I have to eat all the time just to keep my weight stable, its quite low as it is, my BMI is only 18.7.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Word of warning though, if you are forced to take a break from cycling try and reduce your intake accordingly!

image.jpg

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Well, last year I guesstimated that my cycling and swimming accounted for about 500,000 calories. Which, roughly speaking, means that I don't really stop eating, other than when I sleep.

Kookas

Über Member
Well, last year I guesstimated that my cycling and swimming accounted for about 500,000 calories. Which, roughly speaking, means that I don't really stop eating, other than when I sleep.

My 16-mile commute earns me an extra 1000 calories to spend. Coupled with the fact that I'm stocky and 6'2, means I have a daily budget of 3500 delicious calories. Mmm. I mostly just eat peanut butter on toast when I am hungry, though.

vickster

Legendary Member
How did you get from 16 miles to 1000 calories out of interest?

I did 11 miles today, Strava calculated 400 odd which matches my usual 1 mile = 40 calories (I am no lightweight)!

Kookas

Über Member
How did you get from 16 miles to 1000 calories out of interest?

I did 11 miles today, Strava calculated 400 odd which matches my usual 1 mile = 40 calories (I am no lightweight)!

I don't use Strava to calculate calories, but instead any one of the online calculators. I just tried this one and got a similar result:
http://www.bikemetro.com/calculators/calorie.asp

Even completely flat, it says that at 16 mph doing 16 miles, you burn 970 calories. Of course, there's no way my commute is completely flat - there probably isn't a single stretch of flat road along the whole route, you're always going either up or down a hill - so if the calculator is accurate, I might even be entitled to more, but I'll play it safe for now.

Top Bottom