Hunt 3650 Carbon Wide Aero wheelset, question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Looking at a new pair of rim brake, summer wheels for my Ti bike, and mainly used for audaxs. Just looking at the Hunt wheels and originally I was thinking about the Four Season version, but then I drifted over and started looking at the carbon wheels. ;)

As they will be used in all weathers, decent braking is a requirement. I normally wouldn't even consider carbon wheels as wet weather isn't the best, or at least thats what I've been lead to believe?

But the Hunt 3650 wheels have caught my eye in terms of spec and cost, and according to the spec they have a Griptec friction brake-track and 3K re-enforcement for excellent braking and durability. So just wondering if anyone has personal experience of these wheels and how they perform in the wet?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Looking at a new pair of rim brake, summer wheels for my Ti bike, and mainly used for audaxs. Just looking at the Hunt wheels and originally I was thinking about the Four Season version, but then I drifted over and started looking at the carbon wheels. ;)

As they will be used in all weathers, decent braking is a requirement. I normally wouldn't even consider carbon wheels as wet weather isn't the best, or at least thats what I've been lead to believe?

But the Hunt 3650 wheels have caught my eye in terms of spec and cost, and according to the spec they have a Griptec friction brake-track and 3K re-enforcement for excellent braking and durability. So just wondering if anyone has personal experience of these wheels and how they perform in the wet?
There nice enough wheels. My other half bought some. But uses them as summer wheels. Braking in the wet seems fine as long as you keep giving them a little squeese to clear the water. My only gripe with hunt wheels is the noisey freewheel. But as long as she stays behind me they are fine.

The ‘Carbon rim braking in the wet’ issue, isn’t as binary as you may have been led to believe. If you have Carbon specific pads, and good quality rims, they won’t hack up as badly as you may have been led to believe either. What is true, is that they won’t perform as they do in dry conditions, and the difference between wet and dry performance is more marked than with alloy braking surfaces. But if you make the requisite allowances, they are not the total death dealing nightmare that some people try to make out.

Mark pallister

There nice enough wheels. My other half bought some. But uses them as summer wheels. Braking in the wet seems fine as long as you keep giving them a little squeese to clear the water. My only gripe with hunt wheels is the noisey freewheel. But as long as she stays behind me they are fine.
Bit of grease in the hub will sort that out

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The ‘Carbon rim braking in the wet’ issue, isn’t as binary as you may have been led to believe. If you have Carbon specific pads, and good quality rims, they won’t hack up as badly as you may have been led to believe either. What is true, is that they won’t perform as they do in dry conditions, and the difference between wet and dry performance is more marked than with alloy braking surfaces. But if you make the requisite allowances, they are not the total death dealing nightmare that some people try to make out.

This. However just to add, does the OP really want to be wearing out rim braked carbon wheels over the winter?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
This. However just to add, does the OP really want to be wearing out rim braked carbon wheels over the winter?

Sorry, I should have mentioned at the start, they will only be for summer use, I have enough knackered wheels that I use for the proper winter crap

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Sorry, I should have mentioned at the start, they will only be for summer use, I have enough knackered wheels that I use for the proper winter crap
I just realised, you did say Summer, so it is my fault. I have carbon rim brakes on my summer bike, on the rare time it rains in the UK over summer :whistle: then braking performance is reduced, but I can adjust for it. I have only had one problem on a very steep decent with mud on the road in the pouring down rain, it did however necessitate a change of shorts.

Top Bottom