Hunt 3650 Carbon Wide Aero wheelset, question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Needless to say that despite my initial interest in these wheels I didn't do anything else about it other than just look and ponder.

However, it must be fate because over the weekend I have borrowed a demo pair of these exact same wheels and so I've just done a search on here only to find that I posed the question nearly twelve months ago......lol

I've done a 100 miles on them over the weekend and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the ride quality, its a very smooth ride for sure. Probably thanks to the increase in the rim width from what I'm used to. But the noise from the freehub just isn't to my liking I'm afraid. But following on from a comment I made on the Hunt Instagram page about the freehub noise, Hunt say that a "quieter" freehub version is available. It isn't an option that you can select in the ordering menu, apparently you have to add a comment in the blank field at the check out.
But before I commit, I want to hear it in action first, so I've asked if they will send me one to fit to the demo wheels.

My other "dilemma" is shall I go with 36/50 or 50/50 depth wheels....:blink: Its a hard life......:angel:

marquisfbs

Alan, i am curious how you got on with the 3650's or did you go for the 5050's? although i am 82-83 kg ( after Xmas) i don't like getting blown about, and i don't want to end up in hospital any time soon ( broke my pelvis last year) so i am thinking of getting the 36/50's. The diference in Aerogains of 50 over 36 is minimal i have heard, but it would mean i can ride any day where there might be some blustery side winds. How have you found the braking? and how do they roll?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Alan, i am curious how you got on with the 3650's or did you go for the 5050's? although i am 82-83 kg ( after Xmas) i don't like getting blown about, and i don't want to end up in hospital any time soon ( broke my pelvis last year) so i am thinking of getting the 36/50's. The diference in Aerogains of 50 over 36 is minimal i have heard, but it would mean i can ride any day where there might be some blustery side winds. How have you found the braking? and how do they roll?

The concept behind the 36 / 50 rim combo I understand, but in terms of practicality I'm not to sure to be honest, as its neither one thing or the other really. Also, in terms of looks which of course is the main thing (:laugh:) again I'm not to sure.

I think if you want a wheel set to use everyday then it would have to be 36mm front and rear.

But and by means of an update to this thread, I did actually go on to purchase a pair of Hunt UD 36 wheels, there is a thread on the problems I encountered with these on here somewhere?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/out-of-balance-hunt-carbon-wheels.274826/

Great set of wheels, so silky smooth and super fact especially when climbing. However, when descending things went rather pear shaped I'm afraid. Bad vibration caused by the rims being out of balance, and at 30+ mph it was rather alarming. The wheels were returned to Hunt on three occasions and each time it was an excuse as to why they were doing it. In no specific order but loose spokes, incorrect spoke tension, non round wheels????

With a heavy heart I finally threw the towel in and had a full refund, which was a real shame as I really wanted Hunt to get to the bottom of the problem because other than this out of balance issue when descending, I really loved them.

The next issue was wet weather braking, which was pretty much next to useless to be honest. I tried three different types of carbon specific brake blacks, but found no real improvements with any of them. But that didn't really bother me to much as they were summer wheels only so riding in extreme wet weather would be limited.....:whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom