Hurtling down a hill with hands on brakes, wanting to indicate you're turning right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Go more slowly or abort the turn if there is someone up your backside. The situation you describe doesn't let you stop and wait if there is oncoming traffic when you reach the junction.
Couldn't a cyclist legally stop in that situation? If I understand anything about the UK road laws, they're not that different from Australia's, and it's illegal to overtake a vehicle if it means you're heading straight into oncoming traffic. In other words, the motorist should suck it up and bloody wait.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Maybe you could cycle with friends?
1292973704_3.jpg

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Answer to OP is simple. If you can't slow down, manoeuvre and turn right. - or you can't think of another strategy yourself without resorting to tinternet - you should not be on the public road. Comets hurtle. Cyclists ride.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Answer to OP is simple. If you can't slow down, manoeuvre and turn right. - or you can't think of another strategy yourself without resorting to tinternet - you should not be on the public road. Comets hurtle. Cyclists ride.

Quite right. Fancy asking for advice on a cycling forum. You're only allowed to ask a question if you already know everything.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Quite right. Fancy asking for advice on a cycling forum. You're only allowed to ask a question if you already know everything.
In this case OP already knows the answer, but finds amusement in asking it anyway. As boring as some find that, I find it even more tedious reading the simpering support for it. Were real life to run like this, we'd still be waiting to invent the effing bike.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In this case OP already knows the answer, but finds amusement in asking it anyway. As boring as some find that, I find it even more tedious reading the simpering support for it. Were real life to run like this, we'd still be waiting to invent the effing bike.

Seemed a perfectly sensible question, whatever nonsense / humour Accy might post normally. "get off and walk" is a bit defeatist as advice goes

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Seemed a perfectly sensible question, whatever nonsense / humour Accy might post normally. "get off and walk" is a bit defeatist as advice goes
I'm not going to waste too much finger energy going through all the strategies an experienced cyclist of some years would have to hand to slow for a fast downhill right hand turn. At no point did I offer walking as an alternative, and I was careful to be positive and assertive in replies. You're entitled to see this crap as sensible if you like, but don't accuse me of being defeatist. Fora should be places where we share knowledge and experience and all move on, but these threads serve only to feed inane, circular arguments in which we are both now unnecessarily embroiled.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's just not worth the risk and i pull over to the kerb to let the impatient so and so's pass,then when it's clear i make my move to that right turning junction i'm after.

You've answered your own question, imho. I suspect this is a genuine question; however, you have got form so 'If you ask a silly question, you get a silly answer'.

freiston

Veteran
Re. the original question, it's a ridiculous situation to knowingly/purposefully put yourself in and in that respect, the question shouldn't even arise.

More generally, when turning right at junctions where the traffic is just about relentless, (if the road is wide enough) I try to take primary position early on (if I'm well on the left before this, I will sometimes signal to take the primary position), I then signal to take my turn and go to the centre of the road, stopping to wait for a suitable gap in the oncoming traffic, allowing traffic from behind to pass me on my left. Where the road is not wide enough, I generally try to find an earlier opportunity to get over the road and onto the pavement where I walk the bike to the turning (or even ride it if it doesn't cause danger or distress to pedestrians). Failing that, I would pull in and stop, waiting to cross like a pedestrian, or I would look for a detour to avoid the junction.

I have on occasion stopped in the primary position to turn right and let the traffic queue up behind me.

Top Bottom