1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurtling down a hill with hands on brakes, wanting to indicate you're turning right

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Accy cyclist, 11 Sep 2017.

1. How do you do it?. It happens quite a lot There you are flying down a steep hill,with the usual traffic up your backside,with the motorist behind you thinking why's he/she not letting me pass? You're not because you want to turn right at the next turning,but you can't put your hand out to indicate, as it'd mean taking your vice like grip off the front brake. You can't just use the back brake as it's not a safe thing to do,so how do you indicate? I've tried taking my hand off the brake for a second and sticking my arm out frantically to show my intention to turn right. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk and i pull over to the kerb to let the impatient so and so's pass,then when it's clear i make my move to that right turning junction i'm after.

Illaveago likes this.
  2. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

Take primary, indicate before the brakey bit, lots of over the should looks, brake hard to a speed slow enough to indicate again before turning right?

matiz, Illaveago, PMarkey and 2 others like this.
  3. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Senior Member

4. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

I usually manage it but feel my self pulling forwards and out of control. I don't think there's a great way tbh apart from no indication.

5. S-Express

S-Express Guest

Stick your leg out

burntoutbanger likes this.
  6. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Buy a bike with the brakes on the proper way round :rolleyes:

7. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

8. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

You may be joking,but i've even done that is the past,when i've had that idiot trying to overtake me as i approach the junction i'm after turning into.

queasyrider likes this.
  9. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

If you're going too fast to safely carry out a manoeuvre, abort the manoeuvre. You shouldn't be going so fast. Slow down safely and come back to the turn.

Paulus, GlenBen, mjr and 8 others like this.
  10. Don't hurtle.

jay clock, Alan O, winjim and 2 others like this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

I would first slow to a speed that would allow me to safely carry out my obs drills, indicate, position myself, and complete the manoeuvre safely.

PK99, jay clock, Alan O and 6 others like this.
  12. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

This communicates the intention quite well.

13. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Senior Member

Yeah but...it can be turned upside down if its only right turns:laugh:

classic33 and Illaveago like this.
  14. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Stand up out of the saddle and wiggle your right butt cheek.

15. OP
    OP
    Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist Guru

Sometimes it's hard not to. If a hill is very steep and your brakes are wet then......

Illaveago likes this.