Hurtling down a hill with hands on brakes, wanting to indicate you're turning right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How do you do it?. It happens quite a lot There you are flying down a steep hill,with the usual traffic up your backside,with the motorist behind you thinking why's he/she not letting me pass? You're not because you want to turn right at the next turning,but you can't put your hand out to indicate, as it'd mean taking your vice like grip off the front brake. You can't just use the back brake as it's not a safe thing to do,so how do you indicate? I've tried taking my hand off the brake for a second and sticking my arm out frantically to show my intention to turn right. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk and i pull over to the kerb to let the impatient so and so's pass,then when it's clear i make my move to that right turning junction i'm after.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Take primary, indicate before the brakey bit, lots of over the should looks, brake hard to a speed slow enough to indicate again before turning right?

Milzy

Guru
How do you do it?. It happens quite a lot There you are flying down a steep hill,with the usual traffic up your backside,with the motorist behind you thinking why's he/she not letting me pass? You're not because you want to turn right at the next turning,but you can't put your hand out to indicate, as it'd mean taking your vice like grip off the front brake. You can't just use the back brake as it's not a safe thing to do,so how do you indicate? I've tried taking my hand off the brake for a second and sticking my arm out frantically to show my intention to turn right. Sometimes it's just not worth the risk and i pull over to the kerb to let the impatient so and so's pass,then when it's clear i make my move to that right turning junction i'm after.
I usually manage it but feel my self pulling forwards and out of control. I don't think there's a great way tbh apart from no indication.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would first slow to a speed that would allow me to safely carry out my obs drills, indicate, position myself, and complete the manoeuvre safely.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's a problem I have around here. There is a sharp right down a hill on a road that bends sharply to the left. So I can easily be out of sight for a car behind me

My somewhat crappy solution is that I take primary whilst the car can still see me, indicate right just before going round the bend, whilst at the same time trying to scrub off enough speed with my back brake to safely turn right. It's 10%+ so it isn't easy. Usually I end up making a very fast indication, then quickly hand back on the front brake to get some speed off

I think most important is have a good look behind, most drivers realise then that you're going to do something other than just carrying straight on

Top Bottom