Hurtling down a hill with hands on brakes, wanting to indicate you're turning right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can sympathise with Accy as I know what the roads are like. Steep, twisty

The problem is that you're going downhill at a sensible speed, braking. As soon as you take your hand off the front brake to indicate right, you're reliant on just the back brake. At the same time you might be going round a bend. So you're steering with your left hand, braking with your left hand. What happens is you start to speed up

This is exactly what happens near me. I can't indicate too early, because there is another right turn and if I indicate too soon, then don't take it, the car driver behind me will then assume I'm going straight on. So I'm stuck with waiting, good look behind, quick indicate right while trying to steer and brake with my left, right hand back on the brake, slow down, turn right. I don't indicate again as my right hand is too busy braking

Of course I could get off the bike, walk down the hill etc which would be far safer. But I don't

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Yes but you have to remember that the potential idiot behind me would get even more up my backside if i say dropped down to 12-15mph.
Potential idiots would be up your backside whatever your speed, better to let them past.

Alan O

Über Member
Potential idiots would be up your backside whatever your speed, better to let them past.
Yeah, if I'm approaching anything where I think I could be in danger (like a risky high-ish-speed turn), I'm happy to let drivers pass me first - I think along the lines of "It's taken me nearly 60 years to get here, so another minute won't matter".

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

i'm thinking of one road in particular where letting them pass would be nigh on impossible. I can't move to the left because of the parked traffic and the pot holes on the left,so i have to maintain a primary position. Go slow and they think you're taking the piss. You have to at least look like you're making an effort to get out their way asap.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
i'm thinking of one road in particular where letting them pass would be nigh on impossible. I can't move to the left because of the parked traffic and the pot holes on the left,so i have to maintain a primary position. Go slow and they think you're taking the piss. You have to at least look like you're making an effort to get out their way asap.
I didn't mean move over, I mean that if you are going slow they will probably find it easier to pass than if you are travelling at a similar speed to them.

I obviously don't know the road but how do you know what they are thinking? Worry about your own safety, the way you describe it, travelling at a safe speed is a better idea than travelling too fast because of some random idiot. If its that bad maybe find an alternate route.

Tim Hall

How do you do it?You can't just use the back brake as it's not a safe thing to do,so how do you indicate?.
Why is just using the back brake not a safe thing to do? It'll do more than not using it at all for sure.
If I found myself in an unplanned hurtling situation as you describe I'd:

Reduce speed as much as poss with both brakes
Shoulder check
Indicate right (while keeping the rear brake on)
Move out if clear to do so
Return right hand to other brake
Complete turn

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you are stuck in the situation where you cannot release the brakes, then pull over into a very strong primary. Somewhere near the right hand wheel track.

A signal would be useful, but if it's not podsible then being further right in the lane reduces the chances that the driver will try and overtake you at the junction.

si_c

Guru
If you are stuck in the situation where you cannot release the brakes, then pull over into a very strong primary. Somewhere near the right hand wheel track.

A signal would be useful, but if it's not podsible then being further right in the lane reduces the chances that the driver will try and overtake you at the junction.
Also being to the right of the lane approaching a junction, an alert and thoughtful driver might assume a right turn.

Pete Owens

If I was hurtling down hill and I had my brakes hard on all the time, I think I'd decide that some urgent maintenance was required.

30 years ago I rode a bike with steel rims and was descending a steep hill towards a busy T junction in Lancater in heavy rain. I applied the brakes well in advance while I was still moving at a sedate pace. They had no effect whatsoever - I just continued to accelerate towards the junction. I knew that I would have to leap off to avoid being hit by a motor at the junction. I also knew that the later I left it the more it was going to hurt when I did leap. it still took me quite a time to summon up the courage to actually jump.

Top Bottom