Hybrid bike recommendations for newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone!

I haven't been on a bike since I was 12 (18 years ago :eek: ) and am looking to get fit by cycling and get a hybrid bike though the Halfords C2W scheme.

I have been looking at various womens bikes: Carrera Crossfire 1+2, Carrera Subway 1+2, Apollo Etienne and Raleigh Pioneer Metro LX.

However I have NO idea about these bikes and what all the specs mean. I'd be grateful for your input.

I'll be doing the daily commute 5 miles each way and on weekends I'll be doing various cycle routes (my house faces the Whitehaven - Sunderland c2c route).

Thanks in advance.

Donna. x

Oldgit

No experience of any of the bikes you mention but the Carrera Subway always seems to get good reports from people on here. Try using the search function and you'll see what others say about it.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Best option out of the cycles you've posted would be the Carrera Subway range, far better parts and build (bomb Proof) than the others and better value for money.

depending on the amount you'll get on the C2W scheme (cost wise) then without a doubt go for the Boardman ladies bike, excellent bike that should last a good number of years.

If you need any advice when the time comes, just ask, but don't let Halfords Mechanics (so called) anywhere near the bike you opt for, tell them you'll self build :thumbsup:

I'm just along the road in Heworth

Mark_Robson

As Norman aid Donna there are plenty of local cyclists who will be able to help you with setting up your new bike. I opted for a Boardman Hybrid and I love it but the Carrera bikes are very good. One more to add to your list is the Carrera Gryphon disk. It's a road orientated hybrid but it will be fine for the local cycle routes.

OP
OP
D

Donna3939

Hi all, and thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, what with needing to buy extras (helmet, lights, lock etc) my budget won't stretch to a Boardman bike, it would've been nice but its a no-go.

I've decided to go for a Carrera Subway but now I've got another question... whats better a Subway 1 or 2?

I don't understand all the specs about brakes, tyres, chainsets etc when I look to the 2 to compare and I'm like "eh?"! :wacko:

If any of you can give me an idea (in laymans terms cos I'm thick lol) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks. x

abo

***avoid*** the Apollo, choose the Carrera instead. My Apollo needed adjusting daily and was just a complete pain in the arse to get right, and when you did it soon went out of whack. My Carrera is just completely different; so much more rideable and just feels so much better screwed together.

Of the ones you listed there I'd point you at the Carrera Subway 1; it has trigger shifters, the other bikes have gripshifts which IMHO are a pain.

How about a Kona?

abo

Hi all, and thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, what with needing to buy extras (helmet, lights, lock etc) my budget won't stretch to a Boardman bike, it would've been nice but its a no-go.

I've decided to go for a Carrera Subway but now I've got another question... whats better a Subway 1 or 2?

I don't understand all the specs about brakes, tyres, chainsets etc when I look to the 2 to compare and I'm like "eh?"! :wacko:

If any of you can give me an idea (in laymans terms cos I'm thick lol) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks. x

Speccing a helmet is debateable (especially on here lol). You'll need lights! As for a lock, it'd be easy to just say 'buy a Kryptonite Evolution' but check with your insurer first, they might have a list of acceptable locks, or some wierd terms or something.

As far as comparing the two bikes goes, it basically boils down to the number of gears and brake type; the '1' is a 21 speed and has V-brakes, the '2' is a 24 speed and has disc brakes. If you're on a short commute, or not going mental offroad then I don't think you need bother with discs. But a 24 speed bike gives you greater gear flexibility for when you are riding up inclines (please someone tell me I'm not talking out of my arse...)

kenuk1

Not sure on your budget, Scott Sportster is a good option, I got one second hand as Id never had a hybrid, love the thing...

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
24 gears seems excessive, even on a hybrid. my commute is 5 miles each way and this weekend i did a 50 miler on my hybrid with full panniers. i barely even used my 28 cog (smallest front gear) i think perhaps once or twice...
if you can, try and get a hybrid with all the extra's already added on. muddies and a rear rack are a nice touch and save you in the long run.

abo

24 gears seems excessive, even on a hybrid. my commute is 5 miles each way and this weekend i did a 50 miler on my hybrid with full panniers. i barely even used my 28 cog (smallest front gear) i think perhaps once or twice...
if you can, try and get a hybrid with all the extra's already added on. muddies and a rear rack are a nice touch and save you in the long run.

It has to be said, I do wonder why they stick three chainrings on some commuter bikes? Seems like overkill and that they are just pushing numbers in that more=better?

For the majority of my commute im in middle ish gears between large and middle cog. I do have two hills that need small cog and low gears. I have 24 gear hybrid

chewy

I can highly recommend the Subway 2. I use mine daily and after everything had settled in, it is pretty much bomb proof! I use it for work, where it sits in the rain, but i've also done 50 mile trips with it.

And while the disc brakes aren't strictly necessary they do work really well :-)

All i've added is a cheap set of bar ends. Will be getting some mud guards soon though

Top Bottom