Hybrid bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kantabronazo

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice on a few hybrid bikes.
I would like to upgrade my bike for fitness rather than commuting. Basically, my choices are between the Merida Speeder 20-d 2020, Trek FX2 Disc 2020, Raleigh Strada 4 27.5-Inch 2018, Carrera Subway 2.

I'm looking for double Hydraulic brakes, flat bar, 10-12kilos, 24gears. My budget is between £400-500.
Unfortunately, I can't try the bikes on the shops as they are closed or without stock due to coronavirus outbreak.

Many thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

I’d recommend the calibre stitch. If you compare the specs it’s just as good or probably better than bikes around the £500 range.

you can get it for £340 with discount codes and topcashback.

Theres currently a L and XL available.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/325459-stitch.html

Velochris

Über Member
At that price point, I doubt you'll notice any major differences, providing they meet your specifications.

Personally I'd go for one with 700c wheels. It just gives more choice when replacing tyres.

I bought a second hand Pinnacle Lithium. Not sure if they would be in that price range (maybe in a sale). Run 35mm tyres for road, but also takes 2 inch mountain bike tyres. Never thought I'd use it for that, but ended up doing some light trails on it and really enjoyed it.

hs84

I’d recommend the calibre stitch. If you compare the specs it’s just as good or probably better than bikes around the £500 range.

you can get it for £340 with discount codes and topcashback.

Theres currently a L and XL available.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/325459-stitch.html
I’m 5’9 (175cm). Would a large in the stitch be too big? I cannot find a medium anywhere. Have managed to find a large second hand.

The other option is the riverside 500 from decathlon. They have just released their new collection for 2020 (main diff I can see from the existing collection is that it is slightly lighter).

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rs500-c6-v2-id_8582570.html

I’ll be using the bike for casual rides and it will be my first bike.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you found anything of interest in stock in your size?
Based on your stated uses, don’t bother with suspension 👍
You say you found a Stitch in large, it may be too big but you’ll only know by sitting on it and also having a decent test ride

hs84

Have you found anything of interest in stock in your size?
Based on your stated uses, don’t bother with suspension 👍
You say you found a Stitch in large, it may be too big but you’ll only know by sitting on it and also having a decent test ride
Thanks for your response. I called the store where I found the stitch and unfortunately they sold it.

the store was over an hour away so wasn’t able to visit it on Friday when I called to enquire about stock.

would you say I shouldn’t bother with the decathlon bike? I have it on order as a backup but delivery is still a couple of weeks away so can easily cancel.

will be purchasing on the cycle to work scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your response. I called the store where I found the stitch and unfortunately they sold it.

the store was over an hour away so wasn’t able to visit it on Friday when I called to enquire about stock.

would you say I shouldn’t bother with the decathlon bike? I have it on order as a backup but delivery is still a couple of weeks away so can easily cancel.

will be purchasing on the cycle to work scheme.
What types of surfaces is your commute on? If paved, suspension just adds weight with no benefit and stops you having proper fixed mudguards for wet winter commutes

hs84

What types of surfaces is your commute on? If paved, suspension just adds weight with no benefit and stops you having proper fixed mudguards for wet winter commutes
Paved, tarmac, canal towpaths but will also be riding on some park trails

vickster

Legendary Member
Should be fine if the suspension has a lock out, I just find it too bouncy even locked.
Sure you’ll enjoy the new bike :okay:
Make sure it’s fully insured if buying on C2W, home and away

edit just seen no lockout as it’s a budget model. I’d avoid myself but ymmv

Last edited:
Top Bottom