Hybrid bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hs84

Should be fine if the suspension has a lock out, I just find it too bouncy even locked.
Sure you’ll enjoy the new bike :okay:
Make sure it’s fully insured if buying on C2W, home and away

edit just seen no lockout as it’s a budget model. I’d avoid myself but ymmv

Thanks!

wouldn’t this suggest that the suspension is adjustable meaning you could also possibly lockit?

“ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION FORK
The Riverside 500 is equipped with an Odessa OS suspension fork with preload adjuster (1-1/8" steel pivot). The stiffness can be adjusted using a simple adjustment wheel.60mm travel.”

hs84

Thanks!

wouldn’t this suggest that the suspension is adjustable meaning you could also possibly lockit?

“ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION FORK
The Riverside 500 is equipped with an Odessa OS suspension fork with preload adjuster (1-1/8" steel pivot). The stiffness can be adjusted using a simple adjustment wheel.60mm travel.”

If you’d avoid this, would you recommend anything better under £300 (unfortunately that’s all my cycle to work voucher is for).

vickster

Legendary Member
it means yiu can adjust the springs a bit for your weight as it doesn’t specify lockout

I don’t know of anything available new for under £300 right now

How far is your commute?

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't look like it has lockout. Not surprised as on a sub £300 bike, the fork will be the most basic there is - the main reason to avoid suspension on budget bikes as said

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The low spec Riverside hybrid bikes with rigid forks are the best ones, less to go wrong and less weight. On a £300 bike, any suspension fork is going to be junk quality and nothing more than a gimmick to entice unwary buyers. I don't even ride any MTB's with suspension let alone hybrids. It's completely unnecessary.

hs84

The low spec Riverside hybrid bikes with rigid forks are the best ones, less to go wrong and less weight. On a £300 bike, any suspension fork is going to be junk quality and nothing more than a gimmick to entice unwary buyers. I don't even ride any MTB's with suspension let alone hybrids. It's completely unnecessary.
Could you please share the links to the bikes you are referring to. Thanks.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That bike is almost 1.5kg heavier than the riverside 500 which has the suspension.
I took a look at all the models below the 500 and none are lighter.

Don't get into all that silliness obsessing about bike weights. For everyday use, weight is not the most significant factor that influences the amount of effort involved in cycling. Frictional drag is, which basically means tyre and suspension losses since aerodynamic drag is going to be pretty much the same on any flat bar bike with an upright riding position..
Someone at work bought a brand new suspension hybrid with knobbly tyres to commute on, then started wondering why he ended up feeling knackered after getting home at the end of the day. Then he dragged his old 1980's drop bar steel road bike with slick tyres and no suspension out of his shed and started riding that instead. Now he can ride to work, do a day's work, ride home and still not feel tired out. Despite his old 1980s bike weighing more, it takes noticeably less effort to ride it, because there is no suspension to absorb energy and the tyres roll freely and do not hum on the road surface.

Last edited:
Top Bottom