HYBRID - Carerra Subway 1 or Pinnacle Mean Street 1.0 (OR ANYTHING ELSE) to replace Marin Muirwoods

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMKM

Hi,

I had my MARIN Muirwoods stolen last week, which was a fantastic hybrid.

I am looking for something a bit cheaper (say between £220 and £300) to replace it with. I want a hybrid type bike, with more of an on-road bias. I cycle around London roads mainly but also go on uneven roads/terrain a bit. I'd like to keep 26" wheel like my Muirwood had.

I have seen the CARERRA SUBWAY 1 for £230 and the PINNACLE MEAN STREET 1.0 for £300.

• Any suggestions on the above 2 bikes?
  • Anyone had experience of the Subway Carerra 1?
  • Good bike - would it be reasonably similar to the Muirwoods?
  • Any other very good hybrids like I have described people can recommend within my cheapish price range?
Thanks a lot

Prasad

KMKM said:
  • Anyone had experience of the Subway Carerra 1?

I used it for 3 months, before it is stolen. Good bike I will say, lightweight, nothing to complain about and cheap.

KMKM said:
  • Good bike - would it be reasonably similar to the Muirwoods?

It's a good bike, I've not used Muirwoods, so can't comment.

KMKM said:
  • Any other very good hybrids like I have described people can recommend within my cheapish price range?

I think, Carrera is best in that price range.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have had a CS 1 for 4 years... bombproof bikes, well worth the money imo.
When you buy one though, take it to your LBS to set up properly as Halfords sure wont.

The company vehicle (ok, the ships bike) is a Subway. Been very good over some 3 years now with variety of blokes riding it. Light enough to not cause bother getting it up and down the gangway - doubt that will bother you too much though.
Suspension seatpost is crap though, moves about so much it feels like its broken. If you go for one see if halfords will change it for a solid type.

Weegie

Piemaster said:
The company vehicle (ok, the ships bike) is a Subway. Been very good over some 3 years now with variety of blokes riding it. Light enough to not cause bother getting it up and down the gangway - doubt that will bother you too much though.
Suspension seatpost is crap though, moves about so much it feels like its broken. If you go for one see if halfords will change it for a solid type.

The latest Subways don't have that cheap suspension seatpost, or an adjustable stem. On the plus side, they now have a triple chainset instead of a double.

jann71

Veteran
Sorry to here your Marin was stolen, I've had two of their mountain bikes and love them. Would have bought a Marin hybrid but instead went for a Pinnacle Borealis which is a dream to ride, tested the subway and didnt like it.

jay clock

Massive member
I have Subway which is now 4 years old. Excellent all round bike. Works as an MTB, a tourer, a road bike (ok a bit heavy, but have done 100k rides on it in a morning)

Having said all that, the only original bits are the frame, stem and bars!!

Top Bottom