Hybrid Repair and Maintenance Guide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I really like this book, 2nd hand on ebay :okay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302059907427

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Spec seems to be:
Tektro 172 Disc / Tektro MD-U510 and Shimano ST-EF41
So mechanical.
@Roseland triker poo poos @vickster Q, gets the answer 'think hydraulic' and then segues into:

Why grease the cables (new bike, new inners, new outers) - tell us more? Shimano recommends not doing so, I think. Old habits die hard, mind.
Ah yes, it's the more expensive Alight 2 City that has hydraulic disc brakes. I probably wouldn't notice the difference on the local tow paths and the other shared use paths :smile:

Louise

Ajax Bay

Guru
I just bought a Liv Alight 3 disc 2021
Loueese: "Ah, it's the more expensive Alight 2 City that has hydraulic disc brakes" (Tektro HD-R280)
Don't come and spoil it! Let's pretend you actually bought a Liv Alight 3 disc.
The point @vickster (who is one of Cycle Chat Mechanics & Repairs ' leading ladies, and farther afield) was checking is that if you have hydraulics you need a book which covers those reasonably well because (my comment) that's the item that will likely give you most maintenance grief (reaches for helmet).

Reactions: C R

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Richard Ballantine wrote the definitive book. I understand theres a modern version. Gives a good wider picture of the cycling world too, along with road craft etc. Presume it now delves into disc brakes. Others will be along to let us know…

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Loueese: "Ah, it's the more expensive Alight 2 City that has hydraulic disc brakes" (Tektro HD-R280)
Don't come and spoil it! Let's pretend you actually bought a Liv Alight 3 disc.
The point @vickster (who is one of Cycle Chat Mechanics & Repairs ' leading ladies, and farther afield) was checking is that if you have hydraulics you need a book which covers those reasonably well because (my comment) that's the item that will likely give you most maintenance grief (reaches for helmet).
? I did buy a Liv Alight 3 Disc... It has the mechanical disc brakes. I'll be avoiding riding in the wet/mud as much as possible - assuming that makes some difference to the amount of maintenance required?

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Richard Ballantine wrote the definitive book. I understand theres a modern version. Gives a good wider picture of the cycling world too, along with road craft etc. Presume it now delves into disc brakes. Others will be along to let us know…
Thanks. Looks like he died quite young in 2013 and the most recent iteration of his book seems to have been in £2000. I'm not going to be a serious cyclist and I'll only be riding short distances and on the local tow paths and the like. So my needs are going to be fairly basic, I think.
Louise

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I haven't seen a modern version but that was the book recommended by the trainer when I did my Velotech course. Some of the historic stuff at the start is very entertaining reading.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah yes, it's the more expensive Alight 2 City that has hydraulic disc brakes. I probably wouldn't notice the difference on the local tow paths and the other shared use paths :smile:

Louise
Mechanical discs are slightly easier to look after - they are just cable operated - so most likely better for you to learn to maintain them.

Hydraulic are great, but, if you want to change the fluid, its's a special tool job, although not difficult. I've only changed the fluid once on my MTB due to changing a component in the lever, the same with MrsF's bike - had to change the fluid as it was second hand and the seller told me the brakes needed doing.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry @Loueese - I took "Ah yes, it's the more expensive Alight 2 City that has hydraulic disc brakes" to mean that "it" was the bike you'd bought.
The late Richard Ballantyne's book is a classic and bible for those with 20th century bikes. My 1990 version starts its 'Brakes' chapter thus: "Bicycle brakes come in three basic types: hub, disc and calliper." (but then ignores disc brakes)
I think the excellent suggestions above from @AndyRM and @vickster will hit the sweet point for you.

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
If it's a new bike, pretty sure you can take it to the bike shop how often you like for the first year or so and have it maintained/repaired for free.

Also, will come with a manual :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's a new bike, pretty sure you can take it to the bike shop how often you like for the first year or so and have it maintained/repaired for free.

Also, will come with a manual :okay:
On what do you base that assumption? Little tweaks maybe if they’re not busy.
Once you build a rapport with an LBS, they’ll offer help and advice but don’t expect it always to be FoC

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
On what do you base that assumption? Little tweaks maybe if they’re not busy.
Once you build a rapport with an LBS, they’ll offer help and advice but don’t expect it always to be FoC
I've visited 4 bike shops with my partner in the last two weeks: Cycle Heaven, Evans Cycles, Liv Store, Giant Store. All offered free and unlimited repairs and adjustments of any kind for 12 months.

Top Bottom